Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How may I remove a Rootkit reported for a Windows 7 please

Beans

Re: How may I remove a Rootkit reported for a Windows 7 please

Hi,

If your friend was getting a report from Avast about a rootkit I would run TDSSKiller to be on the safe side. That is an actual rootkit removal tool. GMER will give you notification of the rootkit and is very good at it but removal with TDSSKiller is easier.

Malwarebytes (which is NOT a rootkit scan unless you download the MBAR Rootkit tool) could be your next option if there is no rootkit/bootkit detected followed by an online scan using ESET online scanner.

Here are some links if you like:

Please download TDSSKiller

• Double click TDSSKiller.exe
    • Press Start Scan but do nothing else as we are just looking for what is there.
    • If Malicious objects are found, select Skip by changing the Cure dropdown in the upper right.
    • Google search any entries found to be sure that they are actually infections...once complete, run TDSSKiller again and select Cure for the entries found to be malicious.
      • A copy of the log will be saved automatically to the root of the drive (typically C:\)

-----------------------------

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Right-click and Run as Administrator mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan as shown below.

• When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location if you would like the results reviewed.

The log can also be found here:

Windows 2000 & Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Windows Vista & Win7:
    C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Malwarebytes\M alwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
    ----------

ESET Online Scanner

Go here to run an online scannner from ESET.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

mike acker,

With respect I don't need convincing how excellent Ubuntu is.
    Some people and that includes my friend just will not listen to well balanced arguments.
    So I think the solution is to leave his sytem alone in its W7 sad state and say I can do nothing with W7 but will install Ubuntu should he agree.
    MSi CR620 (Novatech i3 Core i3-350M) 2.27GHz 2GiB RAM, 250GiB SSD, Ubuntu 14.04 & XP
    ASUS Eee PC 1001P Atom N450 1.66GHz 1GiB RAM, Lubuntu 14.04 & XP
    Toshiba Equium M50&M40, Lubuntu 14.04 & XP
    Raspberry Pi B, SD bootable Raspbian or OpenElec/XBMC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Viruses and malware don't typically make computers run slowly. It is much more likely to be something else on the system, or the usual Windows slowdown.

Only an idiotic malware writer would slow down the computers of their victims. It just alerts the victim that something is wrong, and they immediately reach for the anti-virus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12