Thread: 12.04 ppc. G4 sawtooth with dreaded agp rage 128. Tried heaps of things, mini ISO?

Beans

Question 12.04 ppc. G4 sawtooth with dreaded agp rage 128. Tried heaps of things, mini ISO?

I have done a great deal of reading on this topic, and alas have had no luck so far in getting 12.04 to install on a sawtooth. To cut a long boring story short, as I am a relative newcomer to the linux world, here is a key question I would love to know the answer to (although other advice would be very welcome..)

How do I go about installing Lubuntu 12.04 ppc using an Ubuntu 12.04 ppc mini ISO to get a minimal core installed so that I can then get a net install of Lubuntu 12.04 to finish it off as it were?
    (I am happy to let the sawtooth download the updated packages that contain the work-arounds to the dreaded Rage 128 troubles and think that this might be the best way to go for me; I have followed religiously all the advice given about the rage 128 issues and have had no luck to date; being a relative newbie to linux I would be happy to hear from anyone with this nuisance graphics card on a swatooth who has some success stories to share.

I have done enough reading to be persuaded that 12.04 Lubuntu is going to be my best bet for this machine, if it was just for my own use I would buy a radeon 7000 for thirty bucks as advised by a few, trouble is I have 6 of these sawtooths and zero budget.....(although I am starting to think that maybe $180 on graphics cards might be the best option all round!)

I have set myself the interesting technical challenge of getting them to surf the web, youtube or viewer etc., so that I can donate them to the local refugee centre, so I don't really want it to cost me money (after all I have already spent many hours on this)
    But if I don't solve the problem soon then where I work will force me to throw them out! (I know they are decent machines and I have a decent amount of ram for them all)

Please excuse me if there is a magic answer is in a thread somewhere that I have missed. I have done my best to search.

Thanks in advance

Lew

Beans

Re: 12.04 ppc. G4 sawtooth with dreaded agp rage 128. Tried heaps of things, mini ISO

Are you struggling getting the mini installer going, or with issues post install?

Others have reported success on G4 with R128 with this method .

In the iMacG3 thread linked there, another poster mentioned issues booting the mini.

Beans

Re: 12.04 ppc. G4 sawtooth with dreaded agp rage 128. Tried heaps of things, mini ISO

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, having trouble getting the mini installer going.

I am using this one http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...n-pae/mini.iso

Had a few attempts at burning and nothing seems to happen when I put it in the G4 - other cd's boot no problem.

Am I using the right one?

Also, I managed to get Lubuntu 12.04 to actually install successfully but it boots into text only. I have tried the sudo install get update command from there but it never seems to get completed, possibly because here at Uni we have a managed network where I have to log in, so I'm never quite sure if my network connection is live or not, it may have an aoutomatic time-out..

Please help!