Thread: My account deleted unjustly?

Beans

My account deleted unjustly?

I am new to Ununtu. While looking around on Google trying to resolve an issue, I stumbled across a thread from here. It said I needed to be a member to view it, so I signed up. I used the username I use for pretty much any forum I go to. About an hour later I get a private message from a Forum Administrator:
    Your username is inappropriate for this forum.

Please choose 3 alternatives and I will change your username.

If I've not heard back in 24 hours I'll choose one.

Regards

~~~~
    So at first I was like, "guh maybe they have some religious naming policy or something can't imagine but will check it out". So I read through terms thingy and come across:
    Politics and Religion: These two topics have caused serious problems in the past and are now forbidden topics in the forums. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on these topics.
    I was like, "That's the only there here about religion but it doesn't quite pertain to my username". Anyway I write up a response:
    Can you please explain to me how it is inappropriate?

It's the same I use for most forums I sign up for =/
    So while I'm waiting for a response I do a quick search to see if there are any similar usernames to mine. I turn up a list of about 150-200 usernames with only 2 different keywords. I get my response:
    Read the CoC that you've agreed to.

Specifically

---Quote---
    Politics and Religion: These two topics have caused serious problems in the past and are now forbidden topics in the forums. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on these topics.
    ---End Quote---
    Guh... So I write up another response. I can't link exactly what I wrote due to my account being deleted and not having my response record in my personal inbox but it basically went like:
    I didn't that that would be a problem because,

a) That line is referring to forum topics not peoples usernames and,

b) A quick search turned up these similar usernames:

.. .. ..
    I copied and pasted a big chunk of usernames I found (Couldn't fit them all due to the 5000 character limit for a PM).

So basically.. Why was my account deleted? I noticed around 6-7 Forum Administrators / Moderators had come to visit my member profile page within +/- 1 hour of receiving my first notice. So I'm hoping for a number of comments from those people plus the person who decided whatever conduct I exhibited warranted immediate termination of my account.

Thanks

-Tim

Beans

Re: My account deleted unjustly?

To save others some time searching and to hopefully further illustrate my frustration. Some usernames on this forum:

cptncatholic or Catholicnerd or catholicboy or catholicmatt or catholickid or johnnycatholic or catholicranger or catholicchurch0 or LapsedCatholic2010 or gdias@bne.catholic.edu.au

cankamerMUSLIM or muslimm or laskar_muslim or MuSlIm or Muslim-Man or muslim_abu_tasneem or Arab Muslim or muslims or AaronMuslim or Magical Muslim or muslima or imnotmuslim or muslim1 or Eng.muslima or muslimweb or ahmed muslim or almuslim or bucharimuslim or Muslim Abdullah or almuslim009 or I am a Muslim or arabian muslima or muslimin or shaftamuslim or ellymuslim or optimusLime or anasbinmuslim or muslimsidiq

satan_pingu or satanx or SatansChild or sabelsatan or satanuke or satanskin or SatanGolga or satan or sataniceaden saklura or Satanister or satanhhh or SatanMAT or msatan666 or satanslovemonkey or SatanLovesYou or satano or SatanClaus or onkelsatan or satanix or satansboy or satandole666 or satanius or satanswordatwork or sosatan orsatanasmolamas or satanic4 or microsatan or satanpro or satan loves me or Salisbury Satan or SpawnOfSatan or satanas666 or Dr_Satan or SaTaNBuGG or satanasinc or jonsatan or bobbarkerissatan or SatanzJudge or elsatani or satanas or FurrySatan or Satan1666 or SATANiAN666 or sataniger or alpinesatan or satanicu or satanux or spankingsatan or satant73 orsatankhul or Satannas or smashbrainsatan or satanic-yobbo or satanduck or Satanspenis or turbosatan or NEcrosatanico or micksatana or SatanSoldier or satanas147 or b1wsatan or aggelos.satanas or satan123 or satanik or satan45 or holy_satan84 or Satanis or ericksatan666 or Barry Satan or GothicSatan187 or satana1573 or Satanic Jesus or satans aunt orSatanicSmurf or crasysatan or Satanoulis or Satanen or satan22o4 or satan2204 or satangos_w or SATANIC_SOUL or davissatana or Darth_Satan or Satan8421 or satan0001 or iamsatan or satan194p or sataninside or satanick6669 or satanick or satansterrorist or TrueSatan or satanic or satanheart or DrBaronVonEvilSatan or satanley kubick or prosatanos orsatanselbow or satanicsoul or Satan666999 or satangel or rey_satan or SATANOCLAUSE or littlesatan or satanaiz or satanFTW or Satans Wyrda or satanxxx or gasatanig or Satan2 or satanicwar or satanenterprises or satan1991 or satanand or Satan911 or Satan2k or Satans_Hell or satanssnaredrum or godvssatan or satanin or satanowicz or SatanicToothpaste orsatanas1528 or truesatan666 or theleftofsatan or satanislav or DaimonSatanus or xsatanx or coolsatan or clarissatang or satannuts or satansai or satanus666 or satanlucas or dctrsatan or SatanSpawn or satanicat or satanloves or satanist or holysatan84 or ghettosatan or ahsataneam or putrasatan or dev.satan or satan613 or satank or Satan666 or satanicpc orsatanium or Satanta or satansho or sataniel or satanic.undead or satanataii or satang500 or sadsatan or boletusatanas or darksatan or netsatan or sacrosantosatanas or satanictaco or tecsatan or satanchow

sataniceaden saklura or satanic4 or satanicu or satanic-yobbo or NEcrosatanico or Satanic Jesus or SatanicSmurf or SATANIC_SOUL or satanick6669 or satanick or satanic or satanicsoul or satanicwar or SatanicToothpaste or satanicat or satanicpc or satanic.undead or satanictaco

peoplesrepublican or Guardia Republicano or piraterepublican or ShelleyTheRepublican or blackrepublican or thebananarepublican

I think you get the idea...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Apparently you don't - as I said

When we are made aware of usernames such as your's we deal with them. We've not got the time to trawl through over 1 million members.
    You were asked to come up with 3 alternatives, but just wanted to argue and spent time digging up other accounts instead of coming here for support.

We're all volunteers - it was obvious to me you had no intention of supplying suitable usernames.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Apparently you don't - as I said
    When we are made aware of usernames such as your's we deal with them. We've not got the time to trawl through over 1 million members.
    No actually, you didn't say that to me. You just deleted my account on your whim.

Considering the particular term that you linked to me was not directly relevant to the issue, I think I was just in wanting to dispute having to change my username. When I come back to this forum looking for more support and I think I will be considering I'm still a beginner with Linux and Ubuntu, I don't want to have to remember a completely different username, and I don't think I should have to.

just wanted to argue and spent time digging up other accounts
    It took me literally 15 seconds to do a search digging up 150 usernames. I didn't want to argue, but what you linked to me specifically used the words "topics in the forums" not mentioning anything about somebody's username.

We're all volunteers - it was obvious to me you had no intention of supplying suitable usernames.
    And it's great that people volunteer to do what you do. But volunteering to do something doesn't give license to do a half a job of it. Could you explain to me how you discerned the fact I was not going to co-operate with you considering the manor in which I was speaking to you was not rude or trolling?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Anything you post in these forums is covered by the Code of Conduct. Whenever you post, you post your username, so your username is covered by the Code of Conduct. We have filters in place to prevent the most egregrious of attempts to flout the Code of Conduct when registering a username, but we cannot filter everything. With several hundred registrations each day, we don't have time to check each registration manually, nor do we have time to search for old accounts - most or all of those you found are inactive anyway. Which is why we deal with cases such as yours when they come to our attention.

A simple question: are you prepared to follow the forum Code of Conduct?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.