Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU overheats

Beans

CPU overheats

Hello,

I am runing ubuntu 12.10 64 bits.
    My cpu overheats a lot, sometimes in idle get's to 70 degrees. The laptop is 5 months old, so i don't think it has dust. If i run the other OS everything cools down to normal.
    My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L855-149 and the CPU is i7.

Please tell me what to do if there is something that can be done, otherwise i will buy an stand cooler.

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: CPU overheats

What is the graphics hardware?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

This is my laptop hardware configuration, most of it:

• 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
    • Toshiba TruBrite® HD TFT High Brightness display with 16 : 9 aspect ratio and LED backlighting
    • 750 GB
    • Ice Blue Brushed Aluminium Finish, black keyboard
    • 6,144 (4,096 + 2,048) MB
    • DDR3 RAM (1,600 MHz)
    • AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M Graphics (2GB dedicated memory)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This is not a happy situation in the Linux world. Your CPU has a built-in GPU, so you have what is known as ATI/Intel Hybrid Graphics.

Take a look here and read through to see what you are up against. Neither Intel nor ATI has been kind to the Linux community in this situation.

That thread may or may not be helpful, and don't do anything until you read it thoroughly and ask questions.

The other options are to disable either the integrated or dedicated graphics in BIOS, or try to use Jupiter to control the power consumption (and thus heat) of the ATI GPU.

Best wishes! Wish I had better news.

QIII

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

I understood, but my question now is this: Can this situation if i leave it this way do any damage to may laptop if i buy a good stand cooler? I am pretty new to linux, and i have read that post and it's pretty difficult to understand,and maybe i'm a little to tired now . But, if a stand cooler it's ok and can solve , let's say 50% of the current heating, it's perfect for me.
    What do you say?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Unless you blow air that is chilled to less than ambient, you aren't likely to get that magnitude of cooling performance. And 70 degrees at idle is a sure way to smoke your machine.

Use Windows if it suits your needs, by all means. Use what works.

But if you'd like to try getting Ubuntu to work, you might look for an Xorg-Edgers PPA that has something to get that hybrid system to work. That, or Jupiter may help.

Beans

Thank you very much, I will try to make ubuntu work, I will keep reading, put all my data on another device to not lose them and I will try, I don't have nothing to lose.
    I have Windows, but i use it twice a week when i want to play a game, and that's it.

Ok, thank you very much, if I have more troubles I'll be back.

Cheers.

Beans

I entered in aty catalyst, and i saw that everything was at maximum, the anti-aiasing, the 3d,and the antisopric filtering , i put them lowest, everything on performance not quality and now it's constant at 60 and i have several aplications opened.
    I installed Jupiter, but it doesn't show me the temperature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've had horrible experience with my Toshiba laptop and Linux. I've tried Ubuntu (4 or 5 different versions), Debian, Fedora, Mandrake, Linux Mint. All of them fail to throttle the CPU fan properly, regardless of whether or not I have proprietary graphics drivers. When you turn the computer on, and the BIOS kicks the fan speed up, whatever speed it gets set at, that's the speed it runs at for the entire session regardless of load. I've tried all sorts of things from trying to manually change fan speed settings in various configuration files to installing firmware for other laptops hoping it was the same motherboard, none of them work. My suggestion, in the future, don't buy Toshiba laptops.
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hardware and kernel does not mix in here! I've read somewhere (sry couldnt find it anymore - I tried) that newer Linux kernels are more power hungry. Where do all this power goes - heating.
    On the other hand... using older kernel on newer hardware should not make sense.

...dont mind just passing through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast