Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: win8? yes or no.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: win8? yes or no.

I dual boot with win8 on my laptop and win7 on my main rig. I could go either way with those two. The only thing i really hate about win8 is the metro applications. i see no reason for them on a desktop (mine at least) so i ignore them. If i had both discs in front of me i would go with windows8.
    Last edited by The Squig; April 15th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by The Squig View Post
    I dual boot with win8 on my laptop and win7 on my main rig. I could go either way with those two. The only thing i really hate about win8 is the metro applications. i see no reason for them on a desktop (mine at least) so i ignore them. If i had both discs in front of me i would go with windows8.
    As soon as I got my laptop, I installed Classic Start Menu, and I haven't even seen Metro once since day one. I like it that I could get to Metro if I wanted to, but I don't have to even know it's there.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    This thread can pretty much be surmised by people coming in here and saying 'I don't use/like windows, so I wouldn't know'.

It's pretty sad that such a thing has become a bragging right around here.
    You say this as if it were a new phenomenon. This has been a part of Linux culture for as long as I can remember.

Personally, I can't bring myself to get excited or interested in Windows anymore. Whatever great and wonderful new things they did in Windows 8 are, in the final analysis, just annoyances to me; since it means I have to spend time re-learning an OS in which I have no interest so that I can continue to do the handful of things the rest of the world requires me to do in Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    The only area it is superior is in running software that is created for it, which unfortunately is necessary for some people sometimes. Other than that, it's hard to deny that Linux is superior in a lot of ways.
    I have spent a reasonable chunk of my computer time getting the great Usenet client slrn running on Win8:

Compiling the git slrn under Windows 8
    *********************************/slrn-windows.html

which is where my idea comes from that Windows can be tamed and put to some use. I would not say that the Linus version of slrn is superior to the Windows version, they both run fast and clean, Windows 8 is just a different way of looking at the world .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

At this point, I mostly prefer Linux because I'm used to the way it works.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I have spent a reasonable chunk of my computer time getting the great Usenet client slrn running on Win8:

Compiling the git slrn under Windows 8
    *********************************/slrn-windows.html

which is where my idea comes from that Windows can be tamed and put to some use. I would not say that the Linus version of slrn is superior to the Windows version, they both run fast and clean, Windows 8 is just a different way of looking at the world .
    Lol. Right, but I was just talking about the general experience. Windows is better at running Windows software, but other than that, there are a lot of areas that Linux is superior.

I have a laptop that came with Windows 7 on it. For some reason, it must have some kind of hardware problem so that I cannot get Windows to run no matter what I do. I've installed and reinstalled Windows 8 and a couple of different versions of Windows 7, and it will not work at all. So I always end up putting some variant of Ubuntu on it, and it works quickly and immediately out of the box. It's really weird.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; April 16th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I stayed with ubuntu 12.04.2 until i downloaded a "free" version (lol) of win8, installed really fast(wonder why, maybe new code?or less?) and then after a while of using, said, ehh i think ill stick with it, because, im a "windows" guy at heart. I love linux, but im unable to control my computer completely from UI, because Linux has not been advanced enough, so its alot of command line. just not used to so much of it. will post more later
    ~Gerrman~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    This thread can pretty much be surmised by people coming in here and saying 'I don't use/like windows, so I wouldn't know'.

It's pretty sad that such a thing has become a bragging right around here.

Windows 8 is a great release. Personally I enjoy it a lot more on a laptop because of gestures on the trackpad, but I also run it on my desktop and it's extremely fluid.
    TBH I have nothing against windows or closed software, I use skype on a daily basis..... and would prob install windows if needed to use that.... I just prefer Linux and Ubuntu in particular

Beans

No its bad

Beans

No on windows 8.
    I dont have a touchscreen

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast