Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: win8? yes or no.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: win8? yes or no.

No.

I had Win7 on this laptop before I installed Ubuntu. Have since hosed Win7. Played with Win8 on a laptop my daughter bought recentpy. Our reactions were the same, "What the expletive deleted is this?" Short term, she has disabled those silly tile things and is back to an almost bearable desktop that is something like Win7. Long term? We shall see.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    I've not used Windows in years,so the answer is no.
    +1
    "The needs of the many outweigh the greed of the few"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

havn't used windows since about 2006 so..... not really all that familiar with windows anymore

Beans

If you really want a Windows on your Computer as second install - you should choose to 7!

XP - outdated (arround 350 days and the support + updates will be = 0)
    Vista - Like you said - no need to talk about
    7 - stable release of Microsoft. Many viruses, worms + hackers enter easily. Easy to handle. Network features low + errors (domain erros - registry fails).
    8 - no experience!

So 7 still isnt a good choice - but its the choice you should take if you really want to have windows (not sure about 8)

Regards

Beans

No Windows on my machine except XP on virtual box for one app. Can't stand Windows and MicroSoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Windows 7 - for desktop / laptop use without a touch screen and for everything, work and play.

Windows 8 - If you have a touch screen computer or a Windows 8 tablet then get Windows 8 on it right now.

If you stay with Windows 7 you're only really missing the touch screen tiles with the new look, but note that not all applications run under the tiled interface (it has a name.... unity? no...) and a software centre or app store (depending on your lingo). And new more polished looking applications designed to make use of all that screen real estate and run in a more full screen style. Windows 8 also comes with virus protection built in unlike all the rest that require a download of some sort. I.e Windows security essentials. IMHO W8 is more Windows 7.1 I.e Windows 7 with a few tweaks and Metro dumped in as an option. Rather than what most people wanted Windows 8 - Metro only.

However if you use Kubuntu then you can get the task bar application button look and Linux will rip DVDs and music, enable to do your school work, tune your guitar let you browse the net, watch films and pretty much everything else windows does except play the latest PC game. Only thing I've found Linux can't do. Everything else. Sorted.
    Last edited by JayKay3OOO; April 11th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

If you have a 3rd party Start menu installed that bypasses ModernUI (Metro), Windows 8 is pretty awesome, and it's better than Windows 7. Windows 8 is faster and more stable than Win7, and the minor desktop enhancements are pretty nice. Someone mentioned sticking with Win7 until Win8 has a service pack, but that's not good advice in my opinion. Windows 8 is already more stable than Windows 7, even before getting any service packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    Windows 8 is not bad, I'm using it myself right now. But when it comes down to dual booting I wish I still had Windows 7. Windows 8 has this annoying feature of semi-hibernating in stead of shutting down. I know it can be turned off but even when I disable "fast startup" (or something like that, I don't have the English version of 8)
    Yeah, that one thing is kind of a pain. If you don't have that turned off, it makes it annoying if you need to dual boot or go to the boot menu to boot to a different device. But if you're not dual booting, it's kind of nice because it makes it seem like your computer boots very fast.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bathroth View Post
    7 - stable release of Microsoft. Many viruses, worms + hackers enter easily. Easy to handle. Network features low + errors (domain erros - registry fails).
    Really? we have thousands of them in the company and so far no viruses have entered them. it's all in the setup and additioanl tools.

anyway they say 8 with classic menu option/addon is faster, and more stabel than 7.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you need Windows, go with Win7 if you do not have a touchscreen, and Win8 if you do. Or use Win8 and use some of the patches out there to turn of the Metro stuff and make it work like Win7. Win8 is actually pretty damn good with a touchscreen.

XP is out of the question, it is old and it sucks. I am not sure why people hate on Vista so much, it was a bit buggy when it fist shipped, but there was a lot of new technology in that release, so it is understandable. It is not like we have never got a buggy Ubuntu release when new stuff goes in. Vista had a lot of good stuff, like the new start menu, Aero, and the fact it could actually find drivers. And of course it was heaver than XP, new features have a cost in performance... good thing computers advanced in performance between XP and Vista being released.
    Last edited by BrokenKingpin; April 12th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The only thing I need Windows for is playing computer games and I don't play much new stuff anymore.
    We're alike, me and cat. A couple of poor nameless slobs. -- Holly Golightly

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast