Thread: How to install a CD which is made for windows

Beans

Talking How to install a CD which is made for windows

Hi, I really want to buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-Jav...pt+for+dummies this so I can learn Javascript. It is only made for Windows and Mac OS, is there a way I will be able to load it in my Ubuntu 12.10. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to install a CD which is made for windows

If it only contains videos and script samples it probably works. They may have been too lazy to mention all other OSs in existence. If it also contains some binary executables, each available both in windows and mac format, you could try them in wine, but there are no guarantees that it will work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Its a DVD so it may work. However, the description says that it includes working files, which Im guessing wont. Like Impavidus said, you could try it in wine, but no guarantees.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of websites and books which offer java programming tutorials. That might be a better, cheaper way to learn.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danieltrotter View Post
    It is only made for Windows and Mac OS, is there a way I will be able to load it in my Ubuntu 12.10.
    Ah, that's just stupid talk. JavaScript is not OS-specific. Neither is a DVD.

You see this sort of thing a lot. The publisher probably has no idea what the technical requirements are, or what that even means. All the publisher knows is that it works on Windows and Mac, but it never occurred to them that there are a lot of other alternatives.

It may be that there are Windows and Mac programs in there, which will only run on Windows or Mac, but it doesn't say anything about that. It says "visual training method", which implies -- videos? -- which Linux can view. It says "extensive working files", or -- excuse me -- "Extensive Working Files" (whatever that means), but JavaScript can be executed on almost any Web browser, if I'm not mistaken.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; April 11th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Beans

If the CD has Windows executables it won't run in Linux. Solution:

Install VirtualBox and run Windows inside Linux as a virtual machine. The 2 OSes will run simultaneously and you'll be able to run any Windows applications you want.