Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is TOR safe to use?

Beans

Re: Is TOR safe to use?

Tor provides an encrypted connection between you and an exit node - that is all it does - it is a free VPN provided by a few kind souls. This is useful when you are in a public place using WiFi (airport or coffee shop) where you trust the exit node more than the bored geeks next to you.

Tor is also useful when you are behind a restrictive filter and need access to a blocked site and you know that the exit node is on the other side of said filter, such as when you are in a control freak territory, a weird state or a university dorm.

So if you want instant gratification, just use it. If you are a little paranoid, check the IP address of the exit node when you signed in. If you are totally paranoid, get off the web and move into a cave.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    Question about this please?

I only use TOR when going to banking institutions online. I signed up for them without TOR, before I starting using it.

Should I not use TOR for them given the above statement? (I have been).

Thanks.
    If you sign up for an online service without a proxy than on the server side of that service (as long as they keep logs) knows the original ip that you signed up from. So, you're not being as anonymous as you think. Do you see what I mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dodo3773 View Post
    If you sign up for an online service without a proxy than on the server side of that service (as long as they keep logs) knows the original ip that you signed up from. So, you're not being as anonymous as you think. Do you see what I mean?
    Yes, I do now. I didn't before you and others explained.

If I want anonymity with an online service, then sign up with it using a web proxy and use it with them. If I want encryption also, there are VPN security services to use.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mikodo; May 8th, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Beans

Yes, I do now. I didn't before you and others explained.

If I want anonymity with an online service, then sign up with it using a web proxy and use it with them. If I want encryption also, there are VPN security services to use.

Thanks.
    Probably worth mentioning: A lot of online services will not work correctly with tor. Gmail would be a good example of this. Since the exit nodes can change from country to country on the tor network it could be seen as suspicious activity by the service you are using depending on the security settings of the service. If you plan on being behind a proxy permanently I would highly recommend paying for a good vpn proxy service of some kind to save yourself the headache.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dodo3773 View Post
    Probably worth mentioning: A lot of online services will not work correctly with tor. Gmail would be a good example of this. Since the exit nodes can change from country to country on the tor network it could be seen as suspicious activity by the service you are using depending on the security settings of the service. If you plan on being behind a proxy permanently I would highly recommend paying for a good vpn proxy service of some kind to save yourself the headache.
    More information to consider.

Thanks.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Beans

More information to consider.

Thanks.
    That's what I said in post #30

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I haven't managed to have a live USB boot, in fact I haven't even managed any sort of boot from tails (still trying). I think the onion method is an eloquent method to avoid basic detection/censorship. Make sure whatever means you use you also ssl/http to whatever address you are going to, this will avoid 'man in the middle' attacks.
    The internet does not belong to any country or any person and is evolution in action. As tech increases I like to remind people that my pc was built 10 years ago and it gets cheaper and cheaper to maintain. But no, it's not foolproof, no system will be in our lifetime. Use the wrong name in the wrong place and you are done. Nothing is safe, so be nice to your peers
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    That's what I said in post #30
    I read your post too. I have been reading about free services. He states "I would highly recommend paying for a good vpn proxy service of some kind to save yourself the headache." If I were to decide to use a VPN, I would follow his advice and try to buy a good service. That is what I was referring to.

Thanks.

Beans

I read your post too. I have been reading about free services. He states "I would highly recommend paying for a good vpn proxy service of some kind to save yourself the headache." If I were to decide to use a VPN, I would follow his advice and try to buy a good service. That is what I was referring to.

Thanks.

Oh ok. I don't see how a vpn service is gonna provide anonymity when someone comes knocking. They keep records and you usually have to pay via some form of official means which is traceable.

Beans

I was asking myself the same question after reading some recent headlines. Tor is generally regarded as safe, interestingly even by the NSA! I see two main issues with Tor:
    1. Compromised nodes, in particular compromised exit nodes
    2. Tor doesn't route all traffic through the Tor network

You can find a pretty good discussion about Tor's safety at https://www.cryptocloud.org/viewtopi...ulnerabilities and http://invisibler.com/is-tor-safe/ and of course there is plenty of info at the Tor Project's site itself.

Personally I use a VPN and Tor on top of it for certain stuff, just to satisfy my paranoid self...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast