Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data recovery

Beans

Data recovery

i have been using Ubuntu for the past three years now, I have to say its the best OS ive ever used and will continue
    i have the latest 13.04 beta on my desktop and while doing the usual daily updates my unity seemed to crash and didn't work. so i installed Cairo dock for temp use until i can figure out how to bring it back
    i went into guest mode to see what the desktop looked like and unity was working just fine so i figured if i delete the admin user and create a new admin would possibly fix the issue
    well the account was successfully deleted and i went into root and created a new admin
    well it worked just fine until i noticed something i can not access any of my old file from the previous admin which contained all of our family pictures and videos i cant seem to figure out where to locate them i am very confident that they didnt get deleted with the admin delete please someone help me figure this problem there was alot of sentimental file that was on my tower which i called the family filing cabinet lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moved to Ubuntu +1
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Try command:

nautilus /home

If there will be only one folder there with the name of your new user then you probably deleted the files from your old user. If folder with the name of your old user will still be there then look inside if it's empty or not and ask how to proceed because you will have to change location/permissions...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I'm not sure why you had important files on a beta version without backup but it matters little now. You not only deleted the account name, but all its contents and may have to wait for data recovery experience.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

because i didnt figure that i would loose them ubuntu has always been good at not having issue like this idk what to do

Beans

what is the data recovery experience

Beans
    Distro

Check the system monitor under file system see what accounts are there .

Beans

You explicitly told Ubuntu to delete files if there isn't folder name of your old user in /home anymore.

P.S. If the folder is gone and you would like to explore different methods to somehow restore the data i suggest you stop using this machine/hdd and use different PC until you will be comfortable to try restore process.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; April 11th, 2013 at 01:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Last edited by Frogs Hair; April 11th, 2013 at 01:35 AM.

Beans

well that isnt good well i need to get me a backup drive my old one fell a couple weeks ago and crashed i couldnt get it to work and i didnt get one in time i guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast