Thread: Updates fail: libgl1-mesa-dev has broken dependencies but can't be removed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Updates fail: libgl1-mesa-dev has broken dependencies but can't be removed.

I've just tried (and failed) to install eight updates:

libgl1-mesa-glx
    libgl1-mesa-glx:i386
    libglapi-mesa
    libglapi-mesa:i386
    libglu1-mesa
    libglu1-mesa-dev
    libglu1-mesa:i386
    libxatracker1

All of these have:
    Installed version: 8.0.4-0ubuntu0.5
    Available version: 8.0.4-0ubuntu0.6

The update fails with the following error message:
    "libgl1-mesa-dev: Depends: mesa-common-dev-lts-raring but it is not installed
    Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring but it is not installed"

(I don't know why there should be a dependency on packages with Raring in their name, since I'm using Precise)

According to Synaptic, libgl1-mesa-dev does indeed have broken dependencies. However, when I try to remove it, I am told that several other applications will have to be removed - some of these being:

audacity
    cantor
    gnuplot
    gnuplot-x11
    gvfs
    ia32-libs
    ia32-libs-multiarch:i386
    kde-runtime
    kdebase-runtime
    mate-desktop-environment
    mate-media-pulse
    maxima
    scilab
    vlc
    wine

This is not an exhaustive list of the applications in the "To be removed" list, but should be enough to make it clear that removing libgl1-mesa-dev would lead to disaster. At the moment, however, VLC and MATE both seem to be working OK, as does an application which depends on ia32-libs.
    Last edited by james_mcl; June 24th, 2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: To mark thread solved.
    I'm finding MATE to be an excellent way to retain the GNOME 2 experience in Precise - http://www.mate-desktop.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Updates fail: libgl1-mesa-dev has broken dependencies but can't be removed.

Fixed it - going into Synaptic and choosing to reinstall libgl1-mesa-dev instead of removing it allows four of the eight updates to be applied simultaneously. Update Manager can then be used to apply the rest.
    I'm finding MATE to be an excellent way to retain the GNOME 2 experience in Precise - http://www.mate-desktop.org/