Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem with suspend

Beans

Re: Problem with suspend

Results of --quirk-vbemode-restore:

This was interesting (and we might be getting warmer!)

Behavior, Suspend-by-menu:
    Restores correctly after Suspend, however the screen image is "corrupted" (or something): It's split into 3 views, with the gear menu off-screen to the right.

Behavior, Suspend-by-lid:
    Restores to black screen with screensaver message (Progress!): "xscreensaver:12:12:15: not launching hack (throttled)." AND screen is still split into 3. However, hitting (presumably) any key brings up screensaver log-on, and I can log on and resume (but of course screen is split) But, this is a real restore after closing the lid, which is progress!

Log:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5699450/

Trying (why not) --quirk-vbestate-restore...

Ok just have to edit this comment to give a hearty THANK YOU TO TOZ, who ROCKS (with his incredibly patient and detailed problem-solving), because really, this solved my problem. When I get the split screen, I just need to refresh things by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to the terminal, and then Ctl-Alt-F7 to get back, and the screen is normal. This is a hassle, but it's not even remotely as bad as our 6-year-old closing the lid of the laptop when we're not looking (he does that) and loosing unsaved work. Googling around I see many people have this "screen splits in 3 after suspend" problem, and I'll try to fix that, but again, it's not critical. Toz, or anyone else, if you have any thoughts about that, of course, I'd love to hear 'em! : ) And Toz, let me know if you'd like me to start this 3-screen issue as a new topic or just leave it as is.
    Last edited by thatstheway; April 11th, 2013 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Results of --quirk-vbestate-restore:

Suspend-by-menu, all good; Suspend-by-lid, still required reboot.

Log:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5699547/

Beans

The 3-screen issue is FIXED! Just reinstalled the trident driver. This baby's CLOSED. : ) Thanks again, Toz!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Glad to hear. I'll mark this thread as solved.

Beans

Minor Update:
    The 3-screen problem came back, and I wanted to avoid reinstalling the video drivers on a regular basis if I can, so I went back to Toz's reference in post #19, and tried out --quirk-dpms-on, which also works. Perhaps this will solve the 3-screen problem, or perhaps the 3-screen problem is completely unrelated to these quirks. Time will tell!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123