Thread: Hello again everyone! ^_^

Beans

Hello again everyone! ^_^

How are you all?

Hoppi here waving hello!

I was posting in the server support section as I am currently building a server (software) for a few sites I run, and thought I'd poke my head around here too!

I see there is a new section as well!

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=434

How very interesting!

So erm, how is everyone? ^^

Does anyone remember me? =D

Hoppi!
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Hello again everyone! ^_^

Hey Hoppi. Good to see you again. Hope you're doing well. I haven't been on here quite as much as I used to be. It seems like there are quite a few new people.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Should be cool meeting them!

I always end up coming back to Ubuntu Forums! I tried posting my server query on other forums but you just don't get the same size of community, friendliness or expertise on most other forums!

This is a great place to chat about Linux and technology in general I think

Beans

Only reason I remember you is because of you user name, sticks in your head. Nice to see you again. Also not here that much any more.

Beans
    Distro

Hoppi, it seems like you used to be a huge KDE fan, then you switched to Lubuntu. What are you using now? I'm using mostly Win8 and Gnome Shell in Ubuntu.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Hi mips

And yeah I do still like KDE. I feel it is very fleshed out and still a very aesthetically pleasing GUI, although I was a tad disappointed when I went back into it after spending a while in Linux Mint's Cinnamon desktop, which seemed cleaner and more polished for some reason despite not feeling as "complete".

KDE is currently possibly still the best Windows-like alternative on Linux

Cinnamon is probably my favourite in terms of raw looks.

At the moment... I have Windows on my laptop but am using Debian on my server (kinda wish I chose Ubuntu Server but... bit late for that now!).

My favourite desktop distribution is Linux Mint Cinnamon (and sometimes Mint XFCE) followed by Ubuntu... and to be honest I don't know what my fave KDE distro is! Maybe openSuse or Mint KDE... dunno!

Is Windows 8 good? This laptop is really old lol

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    Hi mips

And yeah I do still like KDE. I feel it is very fleshed out and still a very aesthetically pleasing GUI, although I was a tad disappointed when I went back into it after spending a while in Linux Mint's Cinnamon desktop, which seemed cleaner and more polished for some reason despite not feeling as "complete".

KDE is currently possibly still the best Windows-like alternative on Linux

Cinnamon is probably my favourite in terms of raw looks.

At the moment... I have Windows on my laptop but am using Debian on my server (kinda wish I chose Ubuntu Server but... bit late for that now!).

My favourite desktop distribution is Linux Mint Cinnamon (and sometimes Mint XFCE) followed by Ubuntu... and to be honest I don't know what my fave KDE distro is! Maybe openSuse or Mint KDE... dunno!

Is Windows 8 good? This laptop is really old lol
    I think KDE is one of my favorites. I go back and forth between that and Gnome Shell. My son likes Gnome Shell, and his computer is the only one running Linux at the moment. I tried Cinnamon a while back, and I liked where it was going, but it was way too lacking for me at the time. I didn't like how small the taskbar was, and it was way too hard to change it without everything else becoming buggy. You had to edit code in about 3 different files, and even then, it messed up other things. I'm sure since then, they've added a lot of functionality. I tried Mint KDE for a while, but it seemed like Kubuntu was a little better, so I switched to Kubuntu. I think the only worthy versions of Mint are Cinnamon, Mate if you're into that, and maybe the Debian-based version. For anything else, I think the support is better for the Ubuntu variants.

As for Windows 8, it's pretty awesome. I don't like ModernUI (Metro), so I installed a 3rd party Start menu that bypasses ModernUI. After doing that, I love it. It's faster and more stable than Win7, and they added some new features to the desktop mode that aren't extravagant, but they're nice. I don't know how it would run on an old laptop, though. It should run on anything that can run Windows 7. But if you have Windows 7, it's probably not worth paying for an upgrade, unless you really like ModernUI.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; April 12th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I think KDE is one of my favorites. I go back and forth between that and Gnome Shell. My son likes Gnome Shell, and his computer is the only one running Linux at the moment. I tried Cinnamon a while back, and I liked where it was going, but it was way too lacking for me at the time. I didn't like how small the taskbar was, and it was way too hard to change it without everything else becoming buggy. You had to edit code in about 3 different files, and even then, it messed up other things. I'm sure since then, they've added a lot of functionality. I tried Mint KDE for a while, but it seemed like Kubuntu was a little better, so I switched to Kubuntu. I think the only worthy versions of Mint are Cinnamon, Mate if you're into that, and maybe the Debian-based version. For anything else, I think the support is better for the Ubuntu variants.

As for Windows 8, it's pretty awesome. I don't like ModernUI (Metro), so I installed a 3rd party Start menu that bypasses ModernUI. After doing that, I love it. It's faster and more stable than Win7, and they added some new features to the desktop mode that aren't extravagant, but they're nice. I don't know how it would run on an old laptop, though. It should run on anything that can run Windows 7. But if you have Windows 7, it's probably not worth paying for an upgrade, unless you really like ModernUI.
    That's cool man

Don't tell anyone but... I'm using XP lol

This laptop is well old and it does the job very well!

My other favourite for old machines is Mint XFCE (have you tried that?) but I like the compatibility. Hell, some of my old games run much better on XP than 7, so that's a fringe benefit!

Most of my cash goes on my server lol

Cinnamon was pretty basic a while back yeah - knowing the Mint guys though they're probably working hard on it!

Mate is alright... I just actually found it felt more out-of-date than the XFCE variant, probably because XFCE is still actively maintained as a GUI.

I haven't looked into many of the lightweight DEs though... I'd love to see more work on Enlightenment but E17... is it actually out yet? xD

LXDE is my lightweight desktop of choice, but having said that I think the Mint team had more luck with XFCE

I'm still not sure about the normal Ubuntu desktop though... do you like it? o.O

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bölvağur remembers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bölvağur View Post
    Bölvağur remembers.
    Well that's good