Thread: Volume control keys - over 100%

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Volume control keys - over 100%

I've got Ubuntu running smoothly for over a couple of months now. The built-in speakers in my Acer Aspire S3 aren't very loud, but by 'boosting' them it's more acceptable. I can do so by configuring the Sound Settings and changing the Output volume over 100% with a simple sliding bar thing. But, the function keys on my keyboard only allow me to change that Output Volume between 0 and 100%. So everytime I need to lower the volume for whatever reason and I want to increase it over 100% again, I have to go into the sound settings and change it; a bit frustrating.

Is there any way I can change the range of my function/volume keys on my keyboard? I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and, as far as I know, everything on default (except for some modifications noted in http://www.linlap.com/wiki/acer+aspire+s3)

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Volume control keys - over 100%

Don't have solution but you may be able to create a script
    using pacmd commands.

eg
    This lists my outputs
    Code:
    pacmd list-sinks | sed -n -e 's/\**[[:space:]]index:[[:space:]]\([[:digit:]]\)/\1/p'
    I only have a headset and the command numbers this sink as "0".

This command sets the volume to full boost
    Code:
    pacmd set-sink-volume 0 100000
    ...while this sets it at the 100% mark
    Code:
    pacmd set-sink-volume 0 66666
    Last edited by stinkeye; April 11th, 2013 at 05:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Volume control keys - over 100%

That works for me! Made a new shortcut to boost it to max. It should also be possible to get the volume and than change it in a few steps to the maximum, but simply boosting it to max is enough for me now.

Thanks!