Thread: Is it worth the trouble to build a new distro using an LFS base and put it out there?

Beans

Question Is it worth the trouble to build a new distro using an LFS base and put it out there?

I got the thought of building a new distro around an LFS base and putting it out there for others to use, aiming at mostly intermediate to advanced users, using E17 as the default DE. Default software suite would be Chromium for the browser, Thunderbird for e-Mail, XChat for the chat client, GIMP, MyPaint, Inkscape, Pinta, Synfig, and Blender for the creativity suite, LibreOffice for the productivity suite, VLC for audio and video, Xfburn for disc burning, and Virtualbox for virtualization. Also, I would still stick true to LFS by not including a package manager, and it would also use a text-based installer.

Worth the trouble, if it's even possible, to attempt?

Beans

Re: Is it worth the trouble to build a new distro using an LFS base and put it out th

No

Beans

Re: Is it worth the trouble to build a new distro using an LFS base and put it out th

Meh. Might be too hard for the end user to handle anyways.

Beans

Save yourself the effort, unless, of course, you simply want to try doing it as an exercise in "how to build a distro".

You will end up with something that sounds very like Bodhi Linux, the best exponent so far, I think, of the E17 desktop environment/window manager, though I fully accept that it does not use LFS as its base; it uses Ubuntu instead, making it much easier to use and build a system.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

What about Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, or Debian Sid as the base?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think the question is really whether it would bring you any sense of fulfillment and satisfaction. Who cares about what anyone else thinks?

There are already hundreds of distros. In all likelihood you would be just another face in a crowd.

But who's to know? You might end up with something that will stand the entire Linux community on its head!

Do it if it sounds fun for you.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans

Might be fun to do it but otherwise I'd say probably not worth it.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The best reason to maintain your own distro is because you think it is fun. I've played with some really cool small-time distros in my time. Sometimes it sucks because their lack of popularity leads to an early demise and as a user, I have to move on but there are definitely some great small time distros out there. I remember for awhile, I had this one Ubuntu-based distro that used Enlightenment and had this really cool instant theme changer to switch from day to night. It was super focused on providing an absolutely gorgeous/artsy desktop environment. Man that was a fun distro. And since it was Ubuntu based, it was super easy to use too.

And heck, if you really get a vision, you could end up as the next Ubuntu, Mint, etc.
    We're alike, me and cat. A couple of poor nameless slobs. -- Holly Golightly

Beans

LFS sounds like it is a good learning tool. In practical usage I'd consider using it to build a tiny embedded single application hosting install. The 8mb Apache hosting system mentioned on the LFS website for instance.