Thread: USB 3 external NTFS-disk has a few bad sectors..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

USB 3 external NTFS-disk has a few bad sectors..

Hi.
    I had some problem to read and even copy files from an 2.0TB USB3. I get like 'in-out error' and the copy stop and nautilus hangs. The SMART-test shows an error.

Under Disk utility S.M.A.R.T saying there are some bad sectors...

How can I fix a NTFS-system in Ubuntu 12.04LTS?

/Cheers
    Last edited by Azyx; April 16th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit, 13.10 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 12.04LTS?

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Re: USB 3 external NTFS-disk has a few bad sectors..

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 25th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    What kind of "bad sectors" are they? Reallocated sectors are not catastrophic unless there are a lot of them. Reallocated sectors are sectors that already failed and were marked "do not use" by the drive firmware and replaced with spare sectors on the drive.

Pending sectors are really bad though - means some sectors (presumably within files you were trying to access) could not be read.

You can use a Windows disc to run the Windows chkdsk command to try to fix the NTFS filesystem. I would not recommend trying Linux-based tools to repair NTFS filesystems. You can always download a Windows disc legally and free. I think Softpedia still has ISO images of WIndows 7 can you download.

You can't "repair" failed sectors. If they are pending, you can try clearing the entire drive (after copying files you need) and erasing it with a tool like Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN), then seeing if the pending sectors still persist according to S.M.A.R.T. If there are still pending sectors after clearing it, replace the drive. You usually have to replace a drive that has pending sectors, though.
    Just now i make a S.M.A.R.T self test in a tool in Disk Utilities, and that takes a lot of times (seems to take several hours according to the screen shot below. I have a W7 on a vbox, so I can mount then there, but I don't know if I have a usb 3 driver to windows? Should probably use a usb 2 port instead...Anyway, after the test I should try chkdisk under windows 7?

Below there are a screen-shot of the error message in the S.M.A.R.T module in Disk-Utility
    Attached Images Attached Images
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit, 13.10 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 12.04LTS?

Beans
    Distro

-also- You can run a program called HDD Regenerator which will usually fix them for good if there are only a few.

You need to download and burn Hiren's bootdisc and boot to it, if you get the right version (cough cough: Hiren's Boot 15.1 Rebuild by DLC v2.0) it should be there under Hard Disk Tools in the dos menu.

Sorry I can't provide you a link to Hiren's boot disc but you can find a .torrent pretty easily if you look in the right places.
    Last edited by |{urse; April 10th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro

Have now saved files from the disk. I think it was the SATA-USB3 adapter in externa disk that messed up the HDD, cos it some times did not ger mounted, before there was any errors on the disk.

The original http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd have a tool called:

HDAT2 4.9B1 The main function is testing and repair (regenerates) bad sectors for detected devices. A freeware alternative of HDD Regenerator.

Have you any bad experience of HDAT2 4.9B1 ?

/Cheers
    Last edited by howefield; April 12th, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
    /Azyx

Beans
    Distro

Sure. HDAT does the same thing ^^
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Sure. HDAT does the same thing ^^
    It worked with, remove partition and 'normal' full reformat. No bad sectors

But thanks good to now in the future.
    /Azyx