Thread: Dell PowerEdge 2970 - questions/concerns

Beans

Dell PowerEdge 2970 - questions/concerns

The office next to me was rolling over their equipment and i picked up this guy. It's overkill, but, as a learning experience I'm setting it up in my home as a NAS. I was pleasantly surprised to see this: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...re/200804-265/. Does this mean a x64 installation isn't compatible or it's just not recommended? I also want to bond the two gigabit ports but I feel like that is just ridiculously fast and will just bottleneck elsewhere. I'm going to roll with Raid 5 with 6 hard drives. The ubuntu community/documentation is great and I'll figure it out as I go. I'm just reaching out if I'm going to hit any unforeseeable roadblocks.

edit: should this be in the servers forum?
    Last edited by TnB; April 10th, 2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: possible wrong forum

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Dell PowerEdge 2970 - questions/concerns

Quote Originally Posted by TnB View Post
    edit: should this be in the servers forum?
    Let's move it and see if you get more response.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You'll be pleasantly surprised at the noise. I made a rack enclosure for my 2 poweredge servers in the garage. You're right, with gigabit cards, and twisted-copper DSL service, your bottleneck will not be the server. RAID might be overkill, you might be better served with JBOD (just a bunch of disks) and mirror your disks once or twice a year as needed. That way you can recover to a known, working configuration (except for changing disk UUID references as needed) in case of boot drive failure. RAID should not be relied on as a form of backup.

You might want to put a hypervisor on it so you can run multiple guest operating systems. I would suggest http://xen.org, but there are several to choose from.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I am using: Ubuntu 10.04.4 32-bit

Everything is running smoothly so far. Just wanted to make sure I could get it to work properly on a supported version before going newer and switching to x64.

Also, I'm doing a hardware raid5 for the "because i can factor." I know it's over kill, but at my level (helpdesk/jrIT), typical interview questions are: "whats your home set up look like?"
    Last edited by TnB; April 12th, 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: im dumb..