Thread: Problems after upgrade to 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Angry Problems after upgrade to 12.04

Well, all I wanted to do was upgrade my Kdenlive. But was told I had to upgrade my Ubuntu to do so.
    I was very happy using my older version of Ubuntu. Ironically, the whole reason i came to Ubuntu was because I was tired of microsoft constantly messing around with new versions, and screwing them up. HA! Looks like thats out the window now.

So heres the story, the 'upgrade/update' screen pops up and instead of ignoring it as usual, I chose to upgrade.

Well, now I appear to have 12.04, but it barely there. My desktop andall the icons are there. There is menu bars, or time display, or any buttons of any kind to click on (like say to TURN OFF the computer). No 'preferences' or 'admin' buttons.

Basically I can just sit there and look at my desktop and icons. Except, the desktop crashes every few minutes, and then if I move the mouse around, it restores, and we play that whole game over and over.
    I did click on my chrome icon and opened up my email. Thats when I learned that my keyboard was now also not recognized. Not a single key works.

Ive got a video of this whole trainwreck. I will try to get it edited and up.

Has anyone else had this same problem? If I can figure out how, im going to Ultimate Edition.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Upgraded to 12.04, and all hell broke loose

I never get any luck when upgrading from one release to another that is why I always do a fresh install. Upgrading from one release to another depends on hardware and a lot of other factors that's why I don't recommend it. Although some users are successful in upgrading their systems.
    I would suggest you boot into a Live system and recover/backup your important data and do a full install.
    The Philippine Team
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe.
    You know what solved my problems? Google searches!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the info. How do I 'boot into a live system'?

Beans
    Distro

Boot into a live system by using an Ubuntu DVD or using a bootable USB. Follow this tutorial http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/usb
    You'll be able to access your files from this mode and be able to copy them.
    The Philippine Team
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe.
    You know what solved my problems? Google searches!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    Boot into a live system by using an Ubuntu DVD or using a bootable USB. Follow this tutorial http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/usb
    You'll be able to access your files from this mode and be able to copy them.
    Kewl. Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes there are issues with 'Upgrades' if one is not careful. This generally happens if we don't upgrade our repositories accordingly, or if we have non-ubuntu repositories and sometimes because of some major upgrade within Ubuntu. And there could be whole lot of other reasons. I personally, always do a clean install. It consumes less time when compared to internal upgrade... Also you will have a cleaner system each time.

For a good Back up strategy see THIS.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi
    this post will help you much, but i have to send my opinion.
    if there isn't a must --> never change a running system.
    old unix/linux freak (unix since more than 30 years - linux 20 years).
    i am running 12.04 LTS and have a couple of updates pending - why should a update ervery day ? (that's ubuntu - i think they have to change that strategy - oh that's only my opinion).
    good luck and have fun if your system is up again.
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problems after upgrade to 12.04

UpDATES should be installed as soon as possible but avoid upGRADES. More in the link in my signature.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro

Upgrading probably works 80 or 90% of the time. It's very reliable, in the sense that for most people it always works and for the remaining people never works. I upgraded with only minor problems all the way from 6.06 to 12.04. It seems to depend on your hardware and the way you like installing your software.

As it didn't work for you, I think it's best to reinstall. You'll see that the user interface of 12.04 is completely different from your older version, so it may take some time before you know your way around again.