Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MythTV Frontend Sleep/Wake function

Beans

MythTV Frontend Sleep/Wake function

Hi All,
    I am researching frontend sleep/wake with the intention of implementing the functions.

My system is:
    Linux Frontemd-L 3.2.0-39-generic-pae #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 27 22:25:11 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    MythBuntu 12.04, MythTV 0.26.

Reading http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Putting_m...ntend_to_sleep and http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=810214 both refer to "cat /proc/acpi/wakeup" and these files do not exist on my system.

To get away to a clean start how should I install the appropriate files and pre-requisites?

Greatfull for your help.
    Glen
    Last edited by gga96; April 10th, 2013 at 02:19 AM.

Beans

Re: MythTV Frontend Sleep/Wake function

Beans

Good morning Phil from under down under, thanks.

Found the answer to my question on the second reading of ACPI Wakeup
    Which kernel are you using?
    - Kernel versions 2.6.22 and newer use /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm - see "Using /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm", next - Kernel versions 2.6.21 and older use /proc/acpi/alarm - see "Archive: Using /proc/acpi/alarm" below
    I am swimming in deep water at the moment with linux, it is a new world.

Thanks again.
    Glen

Beans

I have progressed to "Manually test wakealarm".
    The hwclock update function has been disabled as described above for Ubuntu 9.10 and later.

When I run the following with or without the sudo prefix
    echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
    echo `date '+%s' -d '+ 5 minutes'` > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
    the response to both commands is "bash: /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Permission denied".

What password do I use?

Glen
    Last edited by gga96; April 13th, 2013 at 02:13 AM.

Beans

Permissions on my system are like this:
    ls -l /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 15 17:54 /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
    Your motherboard does support ACPI? It is turned on in your bios?

Regards
    Phil

Beans

Hi Phil,

I am having heaps of trouble.

MythTV remote frontend is now unstable and I cannot answer your questions without re-installing.
    What I can say is about 4 days ago the responce to "# sudo grep -i rtc /var/log/dmesg" was something like "RTC can wake from S4" and "rtc0: alarms up to one month". The answer to permissions would be as installed.

The remote frontend desktop opens with:
    - no mouse cursor
    - multiple restored windows on top of "Applications Panel" with all window origins at 0,0
    - I am able to move top windows to clear panel and the change panel to vertical and open gedit which enables mouse with desktop X cursor(plus cursors in various windows).
    - no z order change when window clicked
    - no menu response

The backend desktop adopted the same symptoms and eventually had to re-install the lot.
    I am desperatley trying to avoid a re-install, the unstable state must have a cause.

Thanks Phil and ideas appreciated
    Glen

Beans

Hi Glen,

Let's recap. We seem to have two issues here (ACPI and stability) and two systems - a remote frontend and a separate (dedicated?) backend. ACPI is of course only really appropriate for the backend but that now seems secondary to:
    MythTV remote frontend is now unstable
    Why 'now' I wonder? Your symptoms seem to go far deeper than the Mythtv application, Myth settings or even database corruption.

An update perhaps? I have automatic updating turned off for stability but that's a personal choice.

Do you think hardware checks might be appropriate now? Memory test? Smart data? Cooling? Power? Re-seat boards and connectors? Don't forget your anti-static lead!

Keep cool!
    Phil

Beans

Hi Phil,

Some progress, I have found that the backend does not connect to the net during boot.
    History is that the backend required a static IP so the front end could connect to the DB.

The file "/etc/network/interfaces" was edited to the following:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.3
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    File "/etc/resolv.conf" was appended with the Router IP:
    nameserver 192.168.1.1
    Changes made to backend>general and frontend data relating to 192.168.1.3, the two connected and all appeared to be normal ops.

Subsequent cold boots to both machines seemed normal over the next several days. Then I realized the EPG was not being updated. The backend and mythfilldatabase were not connecting to the net.

I discovered that file "/etc/resolv.conf" was being overwritten during boot and "nameserver 192.168.1.1" was lost.

I have tried putting "nameserver 192.168.1.1" back again and the net ops are normal until reboot.
    I have also used ISP DNS IPs "nameserver 180.181.127.3: and "nameserver 180.181.127.4", and all works well with that until reboot.
    I have also reverted back to dynamic IPs and loopback IPs, in that config all net ops are normal and persistent.
    The reboot clears all nameserver data.

The frontend is wired and "Network Connections" data MAC is correct.

First things first, I am looking to get the backend network working correctly with a static IP.

I am at a loss to know what to try next. Any ideas?

Thanks Phil.
    Cheers
    Glen
    Last edited by gga96; April 17th, 2013 at 11:44 AM.

Beans

Two suggestions:

1. use DHCP but have the router configured to give the same fixed address each time. Simple; no changes on Ubuntu version changes.

2. Lurk or put a query to the ubuntu > networking forum where they deal with such issues. See this for example:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081392

Regards
    Phil

Beans

Hi Phil,

Followed idea 2 and then followed chili555 instructions with dns-nameservers primary, secondary of the router.
    The file "/etc/network/interfaces" was edited to the following:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.3
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    dns-nameservers 180.181.127.3 180.181.127.3
    The ping worked, rebooted and the backend connected to the net. The problem seems to be associated with static IP.

Well spotted, thank you. Will apply the same fix to the frontend.

btw: With reference to my previous comment:
    The backend desktop adopted the same symptoms and eventually had to re-install the lot.
    This was definately caused when Update Manager got to the point of processing samba and lacked permission, the process stopped at this point, resulting in a corrupted desktop.

I do not think hardware is an issue. Two machines, two different applications frontend/backend, one common desktop.
    I am beginning to think the Update Manager is hazadous material.

The frontend is back on the agender, will check it out, I live in hope the desktop can be repaired.

Thanks again.
    glen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast