Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 free (beer) malware protection

Beans

Re: Windows 7 free (beer) malware protection

first off make your user account no privilidged, get the free version of sandboxie, disable scripts in your browser, and use mse. should be plenty. edit and to be even safer install ring of trust plugin for browser and check ratings before opening a google link
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    Hi t0p.

Most of my windows friends swear by ccleaner.

http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/30...-10315544.html

Also firefox addons like

Really help.

Using

as a search engine

is also helpful.
    I fail to see how duckduckgo provides protection against malware. Ghostery is a good idea, so is NoScript.

When I was dual booting with 7 I used MSE because it keeps a low profile and is free as in beer. Currently I use AVG Free on my Windows 8 install (preinstalled) but it's more annoying than MSE with the popups now and then.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Meh, I just use the anti-malware method of "Don't do anything dumb". It's incompatible and ineffective with Windows XP, but I've found it works just fine on Windows 7.

If you absolutely have to have something, the Microsoft Security Essentials has tested very well against commercial anti-malware programs.

But yes, Windows Vista and upwards are decently secure on their own.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Avast and MBAM as others have mentioned. Used MSE for a while, but just prefer Avast - switch it to gaming mode (or just change the appropriate settings...), and no more talking.
    Desktop: Phenom 955 BE | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | 8GB TG Elite 1600 | BFG GTX 275
    Conky Screenshots | Last.fm | New to Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    As others have stated, the free (to kosher Windows installations) Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go. It has a small impact on system resources and is less annoying than a lot of other overblown payware.

I support Windows PCs professionally and have seen this product pick up malware that other paid AV products have missed, and since none of them are perfect you might as well get a similar level of protection from a free product than pay for it.
    I use AVG free when I need to use Windows. Is Microsoft Security Essentials superior, or am I a fool for using it? I don't know but it is another free alternative for real time protection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

For the brief time i used windows 7 on my new laptop (maybe 2 months or so) before wiping it off and putting on ubuntu, i used MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and it seemed to be excellent for virus and malware protection...had no problems, and it was fairly light on resources...so, i would definitely recommend it...i use to use avast which is very good and i like MSE better...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12