Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel HD4000 video

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Intel HD4000 video

Quote Originally Posted by Gompa View Post
    i dunno if it is the same problem.
    but i get this when starting ubuntu 13.04 on my intel i3 3220 on a h67 motherboard.

Attachment 241152

ps debian wheezy works fine with the 3.2 kernel but if i compile the 3.8/3.9 series the same thing happens so i think it is a kernel bug ?
    that looks like what happened to me on super mario bros 3 (nes game) from time to time and i had to blow the cartridge
    that said can you get to a tty to make a xorg.conf file (i would use nano)?
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "intel"
       Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
    EndSection
    this will revert a thing that is supposed to be a major improvement for intel gpus
    if it fails just delete the file

iirc raring uses sna and quantal uses uxa by default
    so this probably will not work, but worth a try
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; April 10th, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    that looks like what happened to me on super mario bros 3 (nes game) from time to time and i had to blow the cartridge
    that said can you get to a tty to make a xorg.conf file (i would use nano)?
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "intel"
       Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
    EndSection
    this will revert a thing that is supposed to be a major improvement for intel gpus
    if it fails just delete the file

iirc raring uses sna and quantal uses uxa by default
    so this probably will not work, but worth a try
    Thanks for your comments - so it seems there is a problem with Ubuntu's graphic stack as in Debian wheezy "SNA" for Intel GPU's isn't the default setting - "UXA" get used and kernel is 3.2.XX, mesa 8.0.5. Most of this is identical to Ubuntu Precise 12.04.2 (without LTSEnablementStack) - the real LTS (kernel 3.2.XX and mesa 8.0.5). So only neweer kernels and graphic stacks must be tested.

Beans

I have a Intel 4000 in my machine, and running raring i get:
    :Sometimes a black screen on loging screen (but can login anyway, typing in the dark so to say
    :Strange graphic glitches in Firefox.

I wonder if this has been reported, the release date is drawing nearer, and i guess a lot of people have intel 4000 by now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by northar View Post
    I have a Intel 4000 in my machine, and running raring i get:
    :Sometimes a black screen on loging screen (but can login anyway, typing in the dark so to say
    :Strange graphic glitches in Firefox.

I wonder if this has been reported, the release date is drawing nearer, and i guess a lot of people have intel 4000 by now.
    Hi

Is this the same problem as the one reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1162349

Beans

I can confirm this issue. Ivy Bridge and HD4000(Lenovo G580)

I`ve just upgraded from 12.10 to 13.04 and I am welcomed by a big nice blackscreen. 12.10 worked OOTB for me. I`m also running lots of Debian distros, and I have the same issues with 3.7 and 3.8 kernels there. 3.5 and 3.6 works OOTB. For my Debian distros I`ve found a fix that lets me use 3.8 kernels. The fix is to add this to the kernel line: ""acpi_osi=\Linux\ acpi_backlight=vendor" , and add "setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=80" to etc/rc.local . This fix works for me in Debian, but it didn`t work with Ubuntu 13.04... At least it didn`t when i tried it yesterday on a clean install. Today I reinstalled 12.10 and tried the upgrade route instead, hoping that would bring me better luck, but sadly not. But I`ll keep hacking on with those kernel parameters, and see if I get it to work. It`s quite annoying to have these kind of issues on what is the new default hardware in most computers.

Beans

Just in case my fix will work for others with Ivy Bridge and Intel HD4000 Graphics, (Lenovo G580), I`m posting what worked for me. Don`t know why, but it works for me.

1. Edit the kernel line in /etc/default/grub - and add "acpi_osi=Linux", so that it looks like this:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux quiet splash"

2. Update grub and reboot...... Works for me.

Beans

This worked for my Lenovo Y580 and was a much better than using "nomodeset" from the grub menu. Also "lshw -c display" no longer shows "display UNCLAIMED" for the Intel HD4000 Graphics. I'm thinking something ACPI related prevented the intel graphics driver/module from being loaded.

Beans

13:10:

Anyone else feeling that some Compiz things feel sluggish compared to 13.04? For example:

- desktop wall sliding
    - expo zoom in/out

Not laggy, but visibly jerky/sluggish, a bit like V-sync sometimes makes things sluggish. I noticed the difference immediately when I upgraded to 13.10, so I don't think it is placebo.

Interestingly some other things feel faster, e.g. the way some windows get drawn on the screen, but this might be just general Unity/Ubuntu/Gnome speed improvements.

Code:
    compiz:
    Installed: 1:0.9.10+13.10.20131011-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:0.9.10+13.10.20131011-0ubuntu1
    Code:
    xserver-xorg-video-intel:
    Installed: 2:2.99.904-0ubuntu2
    Candidate: 2:2.99.904-0ubuntu2
    I have tried playing around with the V-sync and refresh rate settings in CCSM, but no change.

I am thinking it has to be something in Compiz, because on another account on this computer, it feels as if the above things were slightly smoother.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This sub forum is for the discussion/troubleshooting of development versions.

Finding threads in here and then using them for support once a version has been released won't work.

Please start a new support thread in a suitable sub-forum.

Closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12