Thread: Give the VM a WLAN card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Give the VM a WLAN card?

Hi guys! I have just installed Kali Linux in a VirtualBox VM, and want to penetration test MY OWN wifi network. In order for this to be possible I need to give the VM a WLAN card. How would I go about doing this? All of the network adapters available are just LAN cards (AMD PCNET 2 PCI, AMD PCNET 3 FAST PCI Family Fast Ethernet, Intel Gigabit Workstation, Intel Gigabit Server, Intel Gigabit Datacenter server, and Paravirtualized virtio-net). These are all wired, even though I have a fully functional WLAN card on the host! I have tried bridging through the WLAN card, but it can still only come through as one of those lan adapters. Any ideas? I have heard about getting a USB/Serial WLAN adapter, and using the USB function to get it into the VM, but I don't really want to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Too many cooks don't spoil the broth with Linux, and Ubuntu is the best broth!

Mint-Ireland, Ubuntu-UK, SUSE-Germany, Fedora-USA, ROSA-From Russia, with Love!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Give the VM a WLAN card?

What made you think you could do penetration testing from a VM in the first place? Usually, an OS installed in a VM, only sees virtual hardware, which makes wlans on the host irrelevant.
    For more info, check out http://www.kalilinux.net/community/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Give the VM a WLAN card?

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Support.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here