Thread: Stability of future Ubuntu phones?

Beans

Question Stability of future Ubuntu phones?

Hello all. This is my first post after a long while.. glad to be back.

Anyways... I was looking at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVmDOZoVEo

So far it seems pretty good. But isn't it still in Beta? How stable will the actual release be? Would love to hear thoughts and opinions!

Also which Nexus is in the video? I have been on lame iPhone.. So I hardly know any other phones, but I'm ready to throw this iPhone in the garbage heap.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Stability of future Ubuntu phones?

Who can say how stable the final release will be? Its still in beta, so nobody has any idea. What color will the screen saver in Ubuntu 18.10 be? Who will be president in 2045? I have no idea.
    Ideally, the final release will be very stable, but we wont know until its out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What we are seeing is the development of the operating system for a commercial product. The manufacturer will make the decisions regarding the release of the product. It is a crowded market and it would be wise not to put products on the market that are not fit for sale. Remember, Ubuntu phone/tablet will have to compete against Apple devices and Android devices not only on stability and usefulness but also on style.

It would also be sensible for buyers to make their choices using the same standards as with any other product of this type. Check out the design specifications

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnityNextSpec

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've been using my nexus7 with ubuntu touch.
    so far stability has not been an issue. 0 crashes.
    Performance, features and apps are what's missing.
    I'm definitely not saying that this will be the case for the final product, but I don't worry as much about stability as about those issues.

that said, I fully agree with the others that it'll be released when its ready.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu on phones won't have to support a hundred thousand hardware combinations; it'll really be optimized for whatever device it is preinstalled on. That should certainly aid stability.

Instability would turn a lot of people away from Ubuntu. It's given Motorola's phones a reputation they'll probably never recover from; too many people burnt by Motoblur.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

I'll be interested to see which companies do put ubuntu on their phones.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ragi1992 View Post
    So far it seems pretty good. But isn't it still in Beta?
    It's certainly not in beta. It's not even reached alpha yet.

With Ubuntu, by the time something reaches beta, it's very close to final release and ready for everyday use.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.