Thread: Disc burned too quickly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Disc burned too quickly?

Hello,

I have an older computer that's pretty outdated. I had Ubuntu 9.10 installed on it but in an attempt to upgrade it, the OS is now no longer usable. I found a 9.10 live CD which I can run but installation has become a problem.

When I tried using a newer CD, I get an error that the CD was created too fast so it can't be read. This is very strange to me but what can I do.

If I am able to install 9.10 on this computer, how can I upgrade the system to newer versions? It is dual booted with an older version of XP SP1. It has has issues upgrading. When I had 9.10 working properly, it went very smoothly and was very fast. I'd like to have this as an extra computer.

Also, the BIOS apparently does not support USB boot and I'd have to pay some company $30 to get a software upgrade for it.

Any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Disc burned too quickly?

When burning .iso I always burn at the slowest speed to a DVD, to avoid any burn issues.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu version 9.10 has been long dead. See Here. The latest Ubuntu versions are 12.10 and 12.04 LTS [Long Term Support until 2017]. If you can wait then 13.04 will be released shortly. I would recommend 12.04.

If you can give us some details of your machine, like CPU, RAM, Graphics we will be able to guide you in the right direction.
    If you have low specs machine consider Lubuntu or Xubuntu. If you have less than 700 MB RAM then Lubuntu Alternate Install is your best bet. If that doesn't help then try Lubuntu Minimal Install.

When burning .iso burn at lower speeds and not at Maximum speeds.
    Last edited by fantab; April 9th, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, to start. I'm not an idiot. I'm well aware that 9.10 is dead. I'm running 12.10 on my laptop. 9.10 is the only "official" CD that I have from Canonical back when they sent CDs for free. I burned multiple CDs at the slowest rate and none of them are recognized properly by the old computer. My laptop can read them just fine. I keep getting the message that the disc was burned too quickly.

I found information on a net boot install but I can't find vmlinuz.
    I did find initrd.gz at http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...nstaller/i386/

The directions for GRUB install at https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/instal...6/ch05s01.html state that I need both files. Where is that file located? I downloaded linux, is it the same kernel file?