Thread: Cannot log into KDE Plasma

Beans

Angry Cannot log into KDE Plasma

Eh that's pretty much title pretty much it. D:

I can run plasma-desktop under a recovery console and that's not really helpful whatsoever, and I can use Lubuntu just fine.

I think there's probably, PROBABLY an issue with the config SOMEHOW. Any thoughts?

Beans

Re: Cannot log into KDE Plasma

Bump for KDE ;-;

Beans

Assuming you don't have a full filesystem, usually the login failure is caused by root ownership having previously attached to something inside the user's home folder -- for example "sudo kate" will cause this, when you should be using "kdesudo kate".

One file to review is the ~/.xsession-errors file. It may or may not point to the cause of the failure to start plasma.

Next, using either a root shell or from a Live CD, at the user's home directory run "ls -la" and take a look at the file .Xauthority in your home folder -- does it have root ownership? If so, delete it. Using "ls -la" look at everything at the top level in the user's home folder -- nothing below the top directory should be owned by root. Next take a look under ~/.kde/share/config, or better yet, just "rm -rf" the config folder under ~/.kde/share/. Then try another normal login. You will have lost your customizations, but you should get a default KDE desktop.
    Last edited by dabl; April 11th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

I deleted ~/.kde/share/config but it didn't do anything for me.

But I looked through the .xsession-errors file and found something that might help.

Code:
    ** (zeitgeist-datahub:6302): WARNING **: kde-recent-document-provider.vala:160: Couldn't find actor for 'kfilemodule'.

** (zeitgeist-datahub:6302): WARNING **: kde-recent-document-provider.vala:160: Couldn't find actor for 'startkdeinitlock'.

** (zeitgeist-datahub:6302): CRITICAL **: file utils.c: line 118: uncaught error: Error opening file: Permission denied (g-io-error-quark, 14)

** (zeitgeist-datahub:6302): WARNING **: kde-recent-document-provider.vala:160: Couldn't find actor for 'kfilemodule'.

** (zeitgeist-datahub:6302): CRITICAL **: file utils.c: line 118: uncaught error: Error opening file: Permission denied (g-io-error-quark, 14)

** (zeitgeist-datahub:6302): WARNING **: kde-recent-document-provider.vala:160: Couldn't find actor for 'startkdeinitlock'.

Beans

I've never seen that issue, but google turned up some hits, including this one. The first answer shows how to clear recent documents and also prevent new ones from being created. I would try both of those, and if that doesn't work -- dig deeper and figure out how to totally disable whatever that problematic service is.

I can imagine that using files from a removable device, for example, or files from another user could generate this type of problem -- it appears to relate to files permissions and/or files not found.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

I tried a command or two from your link, ~/.local/share/zeitgeist/activity.sqlite zeitgeist-daemon, and I don't even have zeitgeist-daemon.

Maybe if I just do a reinstall of plasma-desktop...I'm gonna try that.

Well that was stupidly convenient. I just removed and reinstalled plasma-desktop and it works now.
    Last edited by CinoxFellpyre; April 14th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.

Beans

After running your system a bit, take another look at ~/.xsession-errors. If you're still getting warning messages from "zeitgeist-datahub:6302", then it's probably not fixed.

Here's how to remove it: http://askubuntu.com/questions/45548...ling-zeitgeist
    Last edited by dabl; April 14th, 2013 at 02:49 PM.

Beans

Well after consideration, I figured I already exploded Unity before with Compiz and I like KDE too much, plus zeitgeist is useless and gedit is annoying.

So just removed the thing. The only thing I would miss is the FuriousISO

Beans

A search found this thread, and I tried the reinstall of both plasma-desktop and kubuntu-desktop and now am logging on again and again, when I want to.

To do the uninstall I used
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge plasma-desktop
    That took out both plasma and kubuntu so I did a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop kubuntu-desktop
    It did the trick.

Thanks for your conversation!
    Last edited by Gary_Delp; September 24th, 2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Formating