Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video about why command-line.

Beans

Re: Video about why command-line.

in modern os such as Mac Os or WIndows programmers always try to migrate to GUI which is handy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mitoni View Post
    in modern os such as Mac Os or WIndows programmers always try to migrate to GUI which is handy
    No, they always try to get more people on board to use their software.

These people don't always know everything about the program, so they always try to give their users as many crutches as possible. Mistaking a UI for something other than a crutch is a grave mistake, IMHO.

Think about a human, for instance. We suck at adding numbers. Why? Because we like to do things graphically.

Machines have no such inhibition, symbolic manipulation is rather proven to be much superior here. Graphical representations are crutches we can use to interact with programs we have never seen before, but when we actually want to do something, its much better to just do it directly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by arashium View Post
    This is my video about why command-line is used by linux users.
    Hmm, bit of a generalisation. Plenty of OS X and Windows users use the command line when they need to, or when it's handy. Personally I don't use the command line a whole lot more on Linux than I do on other systems. Like any tool it's good for some jobs and rubbish for others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Very good video. Only comment is that you really should slow it down a bit. You are showing all these cool commands but don't give the time for it to sink in

I really would not mind watching a few 10 minute episodes each on your channel where you go about it more slowly and in depth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12