Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many PPAs do you have enabled ?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How many PPAs do you have enabled ?

Hi,

Many people say that a Linux user should avoid adding PPAs if possible.
    But how much is too much? They are software with PPAs that do not have an equivalent in the repositories. I was wondering if I have too many PPAs. How many do you have ?

I've got these:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9113/sourcesw.png

SNES9x, CDEmu, Gedit-Plugins, Cinnamon Desktop, GRUB-Customizer, Ubuntu Tweak, Clementine Music Lens, Wine 1.5, Gloobus Preview (A "Quick Look" Mac OS X function equivalent), Boot-Repair, Dropbox, GNOME3, Bookmark Lens, Dolphin Emulator and Python (I use an older Blender version, 2.49b; it's needed).

I think that's a lot..
    How many PPAs do have have in your Sources ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How many PPAs do you have enabled ?

Does google-chrome count?

Otherwise, surprisingly none.

But that doesn't mean I'm against the PPA system, it just means I'm totally fine with the packages provided in the repos as of now.

I don't think you have too many. It just means you would rather have newer, or sometimes unavailable in the repo, packages.

Nothing wrong with that.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GameX2 View Post
    Hi,

Many people say that a Linux user should avoid adding PPAs if possible.
    I ignore them, usually fear mongerings by ultra conservative users (the kind who tell you to only use LTS and hope that 10.04 will be supported for 100 years ). I have lots of ppas especially for multimedia stuffs for which the repo versions are not only outdated, but sometimes broken or otherwise crippled. I want new features and bug fixes rather than "stability" in the sense of predictability crippled or broken. IMO the risk is vastly exaggerated provided you use ppa only for end user applications but not system components (I have had issues with xorg-edgers in some machines but ppa-purge fixed it.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 8th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I ignore them, usually fear mongerings by ultra conservative users (the kind who tell you to only use LTS and hope that 10.04 will be supported for 100 years ). I have lots of ppas especially for multimedia stuffs for which the repo versions are not only outdated, but sometimes broken or otherwise crippled. I want new features and bug fixes rather than "stability" in the sense of predictability crippled or broken. IMO the risk is vastly exaggerated provided you use ppa only for end user applications but not system components (I have had issues with xorg-edgers in some machines but ppa-purge fixed it.
    The main point is that you should be careful which PPAs you enable - those linked from the official websites of projects are probably safe, but do bear in mind that anyone can set one up, and there is no vetting process at launchpad to stop them from disguising malware or spyware as something benign. You are essentially trusting the owner of the PPA with root access to your computer.

Beans

Cinnamon, E17, and MATE are the major ones, I also have a few theme PPAs as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    It depends. The main issue in adding 3rd party repositories is that you're trusting that the package maintainer will still keep a sane list of dependencies. Suppose you add two PPAs where the first program requires library foo at version 1.5, but the other program requires it at version 1.6. You can easily spawn a dependency hell if the package maintainer didn't set the program's dependencies properly.

This is an example of what can go wrong: http://askubuntu.com/questions/9793/...in-the-same-pp

Of course, if your PPA doesn't work, you can always compile the program from source. Because of the large amounts of packages already available, you can easily grab all of the dependencies using build-dep and then compile the program from there.

Beans
    Distro

I don't see why there would be a "maximal" number of installed PPAs...Do as you please, I also enjoy quite "a few" programmes that way

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

all i expect to be using as of 13.04 are these
    xfce 4.12 (only has 1 pacakges last i checked for raring)
    getdeb/playdeb (using the quantal version here, till raring is added)
    medibuntu
    xswat
    i also enable Canonical parters and independent that are disabled by default
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Amarok-experimental
    handbrake
    cairo-dock stable
    Chromium stable
    Steam
    LibreOffice
    Google Earth
    Webupd8
    Kubuntu Backports
    grub customizer
    spotify
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have been using theme PPAs the last few releases because I can shop from synaptic and view at pictures on gnome look. I am ruining the Unity Tweak Tool which has 13,04 source and use dockbarx on XFCE also . http://ppa.webupd8.org/post/45438344...u-13-04-raring. It possible one could end up with dependency problems if conflicting packages were installed.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast