Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How many PPAs do you have enabled ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How many PPAs do you have enabled ?

Just two: Chrome and Cairo Dock.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response.
    Linux user #556334 | Ubuntu user #35168

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I ignore them, usually fear mongerings by ultra conservative users (the kind who tell you to only use LTS and hope that 10.04 will be supported for 100 years ). I have lots of ppas especially for multimedia stuffs for which the repo versions are not only outdated, but sometimes broken or otherwise crippled. I want new features and bug fixes rather than "stability" in the sense of predictability crippled or broken. IMO the risk is vastly exaggerated provided you use ppa only for end user applications but not system components (I have had issues with xorg-edgers in some machines but ppa-purge fixed it.
    It depends. The main issue in adding 3rd party repositories is that you're trusting that the package maintainer will still keep a sane list of dependencies. Suppose you add two PPAs where the first program requires library foo at version 1.5, but the other program requires it at version 1.6. You can easily spawn a dependency hell if the package maintainer didn't set the program's dependencies properly.

This is an example of what can go wrong: http://askubuntu.com/questions/9793/...in-the-same-pp

Of course, if your PPA doesn't work, you can always compile the program from source. Because of the large amounts of packages already available, you can easily grab all of the dependencies using build-dep and then compile the program from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ka55o5 View Post
    The system can *easily* be compromised, by using teh wrong repo. ;$
    How easy is "easily"?
    Hey, I think evilsoup elaborated nicely right underneath your post.

&& just btw., looking for the source-o-matic; found a nice link there, to:
    Code:
    http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

None on my 'real' install of Ubuntu 12.10. In the virtual install of 12.10 I have added the MATE repository to my sources.list. But as it's not hosted on Launchpad I don't know if it's technically a PPA?
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234