Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New kernel 3.8.0-17.27 nvidia-310 kernel module failed to build.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

New kernel 3.8.0-17.27 nvidia-310 kernel module failed to build.

System borked at moment. Boots into desktop but no unity. Tried previous kernel and same result. Purged 310 and reinstalled but still no joy.

Going to uninstall latest kernel and reinstall 310.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/1166007
    Last edited by philinux; April 8th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: New kernel 3.8.0-17 nvidia-310 kernel module failed to build.

Ok removed new kernel and installed nvidia-310 which builds correctly for 3.8.0-16.

But, no unity.

From cli it says no unity-panel-service and plugin opengl not loaded. Anyone got a suggestion to get this unborked.

[edit]
    Ok I reset unity dconf reset -f /org/compiz/ and reinstalled compiz and rebooted. Hey presto desktop back to normal.
    Last edited by philinux; April 8th, 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I had the same problem last night . Nvidia 3.10 failed to install properly, but I recovered on the second attempt. When I ran the Unity support test GLX failed. The new Linux header was a held package and I didn't notce the partial upgrade from synaptic (my fault). By the time I came back from supper the header was available. I first installed the header and then reinstalled Nvidia 3.10. The resolution was extra large but, I was able to work in classic no effects. The new kernel is up and running.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; April 8th, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Curiously I don't seem to have this kernel installed, despite doing all updates...is this restricted to specific systems? I am running on an Acer Aspire S3....

ah found the problem...for some reason my linux-image and linux-header packages were not being updated...fixed now - sorry to distract from the real issue (i.e. nvidia), just confused me that I hadn't got the latest kernel!
    Last edited by PilotPaul; April 8th, 2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: updated info...
    Pilot Paul

Acer Aspire S3-951

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I had the same problem last night . Nvidia 3.10 failed to install properly, but I recovered on the second attempt. When I ran the Unity support test GLX failed. The new Linux header was a held package and I didn't notce the partial upgrade from synaptic (my fault). By the time I came back from supper the header was available. I first installed the header and then reinstalled Nvidia 3.10. The resolution was extra large but, I was able to work in classic no effects. The new kernel is up and running.
    I'll stick with the old kernel for now. For info the full version of the kernel that fails is 3.8.0-17.27

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: New kernel 3.8.0-17.27 nvidia-310 kernel module failed to build.

Does not get issue here on i386 with nvidia-313-updates

i often have seen your issue here with different users & kernels; i wonder if they have the required packages installed to get the driver compiled successfully ?

i always have : build-essential, linux-source (& the likes), linux-libc-dev installed, and never get compilation issue.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Does not get issue here on i386 with nvidia-313-updates

i often have seen your issue here with different users & kernels; i wonder if they have the required packages installed to get the driver compiled successfully ?

i always have : build-essential, linux-source (& the likes), linux-libc-dev installed, and never get compilation issue.
    It builds fine with 3.8.0-16 so I guess the required packages are installed.

This is from the make log.
    If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
    you either have configured kernel sources matching your
    kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
    on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
    you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
    installed on your system. If you specified a separate
    output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
    the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
    directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
    the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
    kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
    their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
    the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

make: *** [select_makefile] Error 1
    Last edited by philinux; April 8th, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

as said above : be sure to have the "kernel sources matching..." : really check with synaptic

i've forgotten to answer about the unity issue, run:

compiz --replace ccp &
    setsid unity

Beans
    Distro

I noticed the performance was a bit choppy with Nvidia 3.10 & Kernel: 3.8.0-17-generic and switched to 3.13 and all is well . I use 3.14 on the windows side anyway.

Edit: After installing 3.13 I looked at my residual configuration in synaptic and found the 173 driver was installed even though 3.10 experimental was displayed as installed in additional drivers. ??? That explains the choppy behavior. I checked Xserver settings this time. (shakes head and smiles)
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; April 8th, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Updates today broke nvidia

So, some updates today seem to have bricked my system, and my ham-fisted attempts at troubleshooting appear to have made it worse.

After installing some updates this afternoon (I've been running RR for a couple of weeks) I got the usual "Your system must restart to complete updates" message and rebooted.

On reboot, my desktop background and the various files cluttering my desktop loaded up, but Unity did not. I was able to get a terminal open, and tried a few things, also noting that no window decorations or controls were loading. When I tried to run nvidia-settings, I got an error that I didn't appear to be running an nvidia driver.

I then spent some time trying to figure out how to get the "Additional Drivers" app loaded up from the command line, but couldn't figure it out. So, I tried to use jockey-text to enable a driver. Unfortunately, from the directions I found browsing the web via my phone, I had to run init 1 before enabling a graphics driver that way, which killed my WiFi, and I've never had any success with configuring WiFi from the terminal.

After various reboots, I ended up opening Synaptic from the terminal, and installed the nvidia 313 package from there. Then proceeded to reboot.

For just a second or two before X shutdown for the reboot, I saw the "Your system is running in low graphics mode" prompt asking me if I wanted to configure my display, but I didn't have time to interact with it before X shut down.

The system got half way through the boot, and dropped to a blinking cursor without a functioning terminal.

Waited to make sure it wasn't just taking a while, and then did a hard reboot.

When I attempted to get the GRUB menu to come up so I could boot up in single-user terminal mode, I got a brief message that said "GRUB loading," but GRUB never loaded, and it eventually continued on with an unsuccessful boot.

Now I don't appear to be able to even get to a single user terminal for trouble shooting.

Can anybody point me in a useful direction that doesn't involve reformatting / and reinstalling? I do have access to a live image on USB, which I'm using to type this, and if worst comes to worst, my /home is on a separate partition, so reinstalling without data loss is an option, although a very unpalatable one...
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast