Thread: 12.04+xfce refuses to shutdown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

12.04+xfce refuses to shutdown

When I try to shutdown, at first nothing happens. This is true whether I click shut down (or hibernate, reboot, suspend) on the username dropdown menu of the Panel, or use Fn+F4 (it's a laptop). On the 2nd attempt I get an error message: Failed to shut down. Session manager must be in idle state when requesting a shutdown. For older versions there have been suggestions of setting the hostname so that it doesn't have any spaces in it - mine doesn't anyway. This has only been happening after upgrading to 12.04 and installing xfce (I didn't hang about for long enough in between to test on the default 12.04 installation). This isn't an xubuntu install - I went through the upgrade path from 11.04 then installed xfce on top. I'll test shutting down from the terminal - for obvious reasons I don't want to do it while writing this post! sudo shutdown -r now works fine.
    (edited - more info re terminal shutdown, +line breaks for clarity)
    Last edited by ChrisHodgesUK; April 8th, 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 12.04+xfce refuses to shutdown

While logged into Xfce, try running the following command from a terminal window:
    Code:
    xfce4-session-logout --halt
    Do any error messages display on the terminal window?

Also, after you try to shutdown using the menu and it doesn't work, look at your ~/.xsession-errors log file to see if it contains any helpful information. You could also:
    Code:
    pastebinit ~/.xsession-errors
    ...and post back the link that is generated so that we can have a look at this log file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: 12.04+xfce refuses to shutdown

Thanks Toz,
    Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    While logged into Xfce, try running the following command from a terminal window:
    Code:
    xfce4-session-logout --halt
    Do any error messages display on the terminal window?
    No, nothing on the terminal window - only the same error I was reporting before in its own dialog box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Also, after you try to shutdown using the menu and it doesn't work, look at your ~/.xsession-errors log file to see if it contains any helpful information. You could also:
    Code:
    pastebinit ~/.xsession-errors
    I opened the logfile before trying to shutdown and after -- no change, but it's up at http://paste.ubuntu.com/5691632/ anyway.

Thanks again