Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Security

Beans

Unhappy Ubuntu Security

Hello all,

I'm currently using Ubuntu dual booted with Windows 7. The issue is that i was trying to download "Malware Bytes - Anti-malware" for my windows installation using default web-browser i.e. firefox in Ubuntu, but i don't know why the official page of the Malware bytes website never loaded neither did the download page of Malwarebyte(i.e. CNET download) got loaded. Then just to be certain I switched onto Windows and tried the same and to my surprise the issue was only prevelant in Ubuntu and the page loaded without any issues in Windows. Suspecting malware i first removed firefox from my Ubuntu installation and then re-installed it. But, still the problem persists. So, i even tried other anti-virus and spyware remover website but the issue remains the same. So, would somebody please guide me as to how to get rid of this problem because i'm really not able to understand that as to how such a thing can happen in Ubuntu. I considered it be pretty safe. Infact i have been using it since last 6 yrs.
    If you want any other information just ask for it(including video/images of the issue).

thanks in advance to who so ever replies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu Security

Define "never loaded". Do you get any error messages?

I just checked on my 12.04 box and http://www.malwarebytes.org/ loaded fine. The same thing happened on my Win7 box.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

"Never loaded" - The website seems to load but as soon as the top end of the webpage gets displayed ........ it again turns blank. Then if i again press Refresh again same thing happens likewise same thing also happens whenever I press the Stop/X symbol in the URL bar.
    If you want i will make a video of it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by eruptionjoojo View Post
    "Never loaded" - The website seems to load but as soon as the top end of the webpage gets displayed ........ it again turns blank. Then if i again press Refresh again same thing happens likewise same thing also happens whenever I press the Stop/X symbol in the URL bar.
    If you want i will make a video of it.
    Have you tried using a new firefox profile?

http://ubuntuhowtos.com/howtos/addit...refox_profiles

I don't think profiles get purged when you purge and reinstall firefox.

What other sites are exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

thanks a lot for such a quick response ............. anyhow i would update you up after a short while because as such i need to reboot into Ubuntu to try the link.
    I will post back while through Ubuntu .........
    Last edited by eruptionjoojo; April 8th, 2013 at 05:28 AM.

Beans

Post Re: Ubuntu Security

the websites include spyware terminator,norton(including the download link available via filehippo and CNET download). Although the Cnet download website homepage opens without any issue.

Beans

I even created a new profile but still the problem persists ....................
    Last edited by eruptionjoojo; April 8th, 2013 at 06:15 AM.

Beans

Could somebody please guide me .................. how to sort out the issue faced ...........

Beans

c'mon everyone atleast try guiding me as to what I could try because i don't wanna re-install Ubuntu again ...............

Beans
    Hidden!

eruptionjoojo,

Have you tried a different browser than Firefox, such as Chromium (Chrome)? Confirming whether it's a browser-specific issue, or a broader one will usually help with ideas and suggestions.

Also, what about other websites? No other issues besides the malwarebytes.com and cnet download site give you this problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast