Thread: Read Only File System

Beans

Read Only File System

My internal hard drive is damaged and needs to be replaced. But first i need to put some files on a external hard drive. My problem is that whenever I plug in the hard drive my computer tells me "Error creating directory `/media/computername': Read-only file system". How do I change my file system back to read and write? Please help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Read Only File System

Quote Originally Posted by rromero143 View Post
    My internal hard drive is damaged and needs to be replaced. But first i need to put some files on a external hard drive. My problem is that whenever I plug in the hard drive my computer tells me "Error creating directory `/media/computername': Read-only file system". How do I change my file system back to read and write? Please help!
    You will have to boot up in a linux livecd to copy the files.
    When the filesystem is damaged, the system mounts the drive as read-only, so Ubuntu cannot create a mount point for the external drive.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you run fsck against the drive yet? Try booting up in safe mode, then running these commands

Code:
    cd /
    mount -o remount,rw /
    touch /forcefsck
    shutdown -r now
    This will remove the read-only lock on the root filesystem then create a semaphore that tells the system to force a filesystem check at reboot.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    When the filesystem is damaged, the system mounts the drive as read-only, so Ubuntu cannot create a mount point for the external drive.
    Thanks i do not have a live cd with me at the moment but i will try this when i do

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    when booted from a livecd how do i find the files on my computer because i don't see it in the home directory

Beans

Never mind I found it