Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Alfa WUS036NHR to Work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Getting Alfa WUS036NHR to Work

Quote Originally Posted by Victor99 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Disregard the above 2 replies. I noticed as I closed firefox that I had updates to install. After the updates, I rebooted, and Voila! I had wireless network. I just glanced at the updates as I hit install and saw a couple of compat updates. So which commands worked? Thanks.
    Awesome! Glad it's working. I suspect the installation of the compat-wireless suite was what did it.

Have fun.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Hi! I'm back again. I had connected the wired connection when I switched to XP, so I didn't notice until now that the wireless connection is no more. I remember from earlier searching about this problem an article describing an install of, I'm not sure if it was this device or a different version of alfa, that you had to edit some config file, or all the settings are lost the next time you boot. I don't remember which file, but I do remember something about adding to the file info on the adapter, and als something about WPA Supplicant. I thought I had bookmarked thIs page, but apparently not. Can somebody help me on this? I assume that i'd have to follow all of the abive steps, then edit the file. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Please try this:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
    Did that bring your wireless to life? If so, let's get it to load automatically:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo rtl8192cu >> /etc/modules
    exit
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Thanks for the response. I tried the code you posted, but nothing happened. I looked at network under system settings and there's nothing there for wireless. Ifconfig shows eth0 and lo, and iwconfig shows no wireless extensions.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the response. I tried the code you posted, but nothing happened. I looked at network under system settings and there's nothing there for wireless. Ifconfig shows eth0 and lo, and iwconfig shows no wireless extensions.
    Let's go back to basics; please run and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    lsmod | grep rtl
    rfkill list all

Beans

Thanks for the response. I've attached a screenshot of the 3 commands. rfkill just put up another prompt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Isn't the Alfa a USB device or am I corn-fuzed? lsusb doesn't show it. It probably won't work if it's not inserted.

Please post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280

Beans

Thanks for the response. I think the adapter is kaput! I jusr sent an e-mail to rokland to see about resolving the issue. I went back to XP ---I dual boot, and it didn't show up there either. I removed the drivers, unplugged the adapter, replugged it in, and XP doesn't even come up with a found new hardware message. So I'm guessing it died. I had left it in the computer with a wired connection also attached, but I can't see how that would effect it. When I get the replacement, or my money back if they want me to pay postage, I'll get back to you. If they do want me to pay postage, then I'll probably be looking for another card. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the response. I think the adapter is kaput! I jusr sent an e-mail to rokland to see about resolving the issue. I went back to XP ---I dual boot, and it didn't show up there either. I removed the drivers, unplugged the adapter, replugged it in, and XP doesn't even come up with a found new hardware message. So I'm guessing it died. I had left it in the computer with a wired connection also attached, but I can't see how that would effect it. When I get the replacement, or my money back if they want me to pay postage, I'll get back to you. If they do want me to pay postage, then I'll probably be looking for another card. Thanks.
    I will look forward to your report and I'll be very happy to help.

Beans

Hi! I'm back again. Finally received the replacement adapter. I installed it in XP, and it works fine. I haven't tried the Ubuntu instructions you gave me yet, as I want to find out how to edit the config file so I don't lose the install when I reboot. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast