Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Alfa WUS036NHR to Work

Beans

Getting Alfa WUS036NHR to Work

HI! I just got an Alfa WUS035NHR afdapter. I dual boot with xp and ubuntu 12.04. I'm new at linux and I'm learning ubuntu. I plugged the card in, and put the cd in in xp. No problems. I noticed during installation that it had a linux option. Rebooted went to ubuntu, put in disk, and nothing. So I accessed the disk in file manager and clicked in autorun and received a meaage from the archive manager that it couldn't unzip the file(s). It's then that I realized exe files don't work in linux. So I went to this site
    http://store.rokland.com/blogs/featured ... 36nhr-is-b
    and tried to install it from the directions. I unzipped the downloaded file, started a terminal, and tried to navigate to the file. I attached a screnshot of what I dud in the terminal. Here's a list of the file.

Alfa
    RTL8192CU_8188CUS_8188CE-VAU_linux_v3.0.2164.20010715 which contains:
    android_refernce_codes
    document
    driver
    wpa_supplicant_hostapd
    install.sh
    readme.txt
    ReleaseNotes.doc
    I opened the driver directory and evtracted rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20010715 .tar.gz into the same directory.
    rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20010715
    core
    hal
    include
    os_dep
    autoconf_rtl8192c_lusb_linux.h
    clean
    ifcfg_wlan0
    Kconfig
    MakeFile
    runwpa
    wlan0dhcp
    What am I missing? I think I've tried every variation of typing in the path. Should I have not extracted rtl8192_8188CU_linux_v3.0.2164.20010715 .tar.gz? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Getting Alfa WUS036NHR to Work

Generally, the files included on the accompanying CD are too old by the time it's manufactured, shipped, sold and opened by the consumer. However, Ubuntu 12.04 is a bit older as well, so let's give it a try.

What did the readme.txt say to do??

I suspect you will need to install the prerequisites:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    Then navigate in the terminal to the location of the driver:
    Code:
    cd Alfa
    sudo su
    sh install.sh
    exit
    Either it will install perfectly or an error that we can use to troubleshoot will be thrown. Post it, if any, and we'll proceed.
    I'm new at linux and I'm learning ubuntu.
    You are doing very well so far!
    Last edited by chili555; April 7th, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Thanks for the response. I had to change to a directory below Alfa to get to the install.sh command. I did the header build essential command then ran the install.sh command from the above lower directory. I got an error message at the end of 4 pages of terminal. Here's the results in the attached files. I sse that they uploaded in reverse order---the 4th has the error message. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I suspected the driver was too old to compile correctly against your 3.2.xx kernel. I suggest you try the compat-wireless package, built for Ubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-precise-generic
    Reboot and let us hear your report.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Thanks for the response. Nada. I did ifconfig, and no wireless. I did iwconfig and no wireless extensions. I looked in network in system settings, and there's no tab for wireless. The drivers I used are from the webpage link in the first post. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Victor99 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Nada. I did ifconfig, and no wireless. I did iwconfig and no wireless extensions. I looked in network in system settings, and there's no tab for wireless. The drivers I used are from the webpage link in the first post. Thanks.
    Are there any informative clues here?
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
    dmesg | grep rtl
    rfkill list all

Beans

Thanks for the response. There's a lot of errors showing up. I'm sending more screenshots, but I might have to start another reply to show them all as the dmesg command went to 6 pages. Thanks.

Beans

Here are the other 2 screenshots.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Victor99 View Post
    Here are the other 2 screenshots.
    And this is after installing backports and a reboot? Or no reboot? If not, please do so and try again:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
    If there are massive errors, there is no need to post them all here, just the last three lines or so.

Beans

Thanks for the response. Disregard the above 2 replies. I noticed as I closed firefox that I had updates to install. After the updates, I rebooted, and Voila! I had wireless network. I just glanced at the updates as I hit install and saw a couple of compat updates. So which commands worked? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast