Thread: Upgrade ubuntu from 11.4 to 11.10

Beans

Upgrade ubuntu from 11.4 to 11.10

Hi Experts

I running Ubuntu 11.04 on Mac using Virtual box and trying to upgrade Ubuntu 10 11.10 by going to system-->Administration-->update manger

but keep getting the following errors during the upgrade , can you please advise how can I solve this issue

================================================== ====
    "Error during update

A problem occurred during the update. This is usually some sort of network problem, please check your network connection and retry."

W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_multiverse_source_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_universe_source_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_restricted_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric_restric ted_source_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric_restric ted_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...ted/i18n/Index
    , W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-updates_restricted_source_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-updates_multiverse_source_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-updates_restricted_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-updates_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

=====================================

Regards
    Fadi

Beans

Re: Upgrade ubuntu from 11.4 to 11.10

Support for 11.04 stopped in 2012. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...le_of_versions

So you can't update 11.04 anymore via online sources

Beans

So is there any way that I can do that upgrade from other resources rather than online ones ? what is the other options to upgrade Ubuntu from 11.4 ?

Beans

I think you can download Ubuntu 11.10, put it on CD, and use that to upgrade 11.04 to 11.10

Beans

Hi sanderj,

sorry for the question if that is silly , but what is the upgrade procuder if I have the 11.10 on CD ?

Regards
    Fadi

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

An upgrade is risky, and 11.10 is only supported for one month more, after which you need to upgrade again.

I recommend a fresh install of 12.04.2 or 12.10.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.