Thread: Compiz Settings wont save.

Beans

Compiz Settings wont save.

This only happens in Xubuntu 13.04 for me. This is on a fresh install after installing the latest updates.
    When I launch ccsm and select the settings they work but they do not stay after a logout or reboot. Also when I relaunch ccsm the settings get reset. I tried using ccsm in root to no avail. How do I make the settings stay?
    Last edited by Xanza; April 7th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Beans

Re: Compiz Settings wont save.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanza View Post
    This only happens in Xubuntu 13.04 for me. This is on a fresh install after installing the latest updates.
    When I launch ccsm and select the settings they work but they do not stay after a logout or reboot. Also when I relaunch ccsm the settings get reset. I tried using ccsm in root to no avail. How do I make the settings stay?
    It also happens in Ubuntu 13.04, the only workaround I have found is to create a startup script with options you want to make, using dconf.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pnarciso View Post
    It also happens in Ubuntu 13.04, the only workaround I have found is to create a startup script with options you want to make, using dconf.
    EDIT : Solved the problem. Compiz now saves and works even after reset
    For those interested in running compiz in 13.04

Install Gconf Backend for Compiz
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-backend-gconf
    Then open Compiz Config Settings Manager
    Under Preferences change the backend to Gsettings Configuration Backend and make sure Intergration into the desktop environment is ticked.

Adios
    Last edited by Xanza; April 7th, 2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Solution

Beans

@pnarciso perhaps this could help you as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Exclamation Re: Compiz Settings wont save.

I came across this thread because I'm seeking a soln to this same problem. Although unity plugin is enabled, ccsm preferences do specify gconf backend and the box for desktop integration is ticked - I still experience the problem ( there has been no change ). When I make changes to settings in ccsm, in a number of places it will happen, they are not saved if I ( 1 ) hit the back button, or ( 2 ) close ccsm, or ( 3 ) restart the system. I have also tried using dconf to change some compiz settings that were problematic and they not only did not hold, but the available rows/setting that can be changed with dconf are dependent on settings specified in ccsm. For instance...

In dconf, I navigated to org > compiz > profiles > unity > plugins > core...

And the only options available to change for desktops were the ones that have something in the field at ccsm > general options > desktop size

Now, two of those fields in ccsm are empty by default; and, with ccsm not saving changes, are what is reverted to when any of ( 1 ), ( 2 ), or ( 3 ) above are carried out.

Please, does anyone have a soln? I'm finding this very frustrating at this point.
    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Xanza View Post
    EDIT : Solved the problem. Compiz now saves and works even after reset
    For those interested in running compiz in 13.04

Install Gconf Backend for Compiz
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-backend-gconf
    Then open Compiz Config Settings Manager
    Under Preferences change the backend to Gsettings Configuration Backend and make sure Intergration into the desktop environment is ticked.

Adios
    Mine was a little different with Mate (works a treat by the way) I had to change "Gnome compatibility" under ccsm and then "commands Tab"
    Remove everything that said gnome to mate.See Attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

For now, I've found other ways to accomplish what I need ( unity tweak tool and gdevilspie <-- If I can get it working properly - DOH! ). Thanks, will keep this thread in mind in case I need it.
    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous