Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginning to program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Beginning to program

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanch View Post
    But what about Java? Is there a website or anything that helps you learn Java?
    The Java tutorials are very good. They perhaps emphasis Netbeans a bit too much, but not a bad start.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

See the Getting Started link near the bottom. You'd need to switch to an Android tutorial when you have the basics of Java: syntax, classes, interfaces, perhaps a bit of Swing programming. Again, ask for guidance on how deep you should go into the tutorials if you aren't sure.
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First, decide upon a language. Pick an easy language, such as Python for instance. And once you have decided upon a language, find a compiler. Once you have a compiler and are ready to learn, find some decent tutorials online.
    https://www.khanacademy.org/cs/tutor...ramming-basics

The good thing about learning Python is that it's easy, just like BASIC, but still practical in the real world, unlike BASIC. And after you learn this language, you could move onto something like C++, and then later down the road be able to extend C++ code with Python code.

EDIT: Java is a good language too, but I personally don't prefer it. Might be a little too complex for a beginning programmer.
    Last edited by King Dude; May 18th, 2013 at 08:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OP is already learning Python. Given OP's interest in developing Android applications, Java is the obvious language to learn.

Java is not a complex language. It has lots of libraries, frameworks and tools but the core language is quite small. It was designed with simplicity in mind -- hidden pointers, no unsigned variables, no multiple inheritance, etc. It has become fashionable to malign Java but the criticism is usually that it's only for incompetent programmers or that it uses too much boilerplate code, not that it is too complex.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

FullCircle magazine did a series on learning Python. http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

Then they made a compendium of all the articles.You can download all the back issues.
    Here is a link to one of the special issues, do a search for the rest of them:
    http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2013/0...ion-volume-06/

P.S. They are free! (pdf format)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post
    The Java tutorials are very good. They perhaps emphasis Netbeans a bit too much, but not a bad start.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

See the Getting Started link near the bottom. You'd need to switch to an Android tutorial when you have the basics of Java: syntax, classes, interfaces, perhaps a bit of Swing programming. Again, ask for guidance on how deep you should go into the tutorials if you aren't sure.
    So I download the JDK, read through the tutorials and such. Simple enough, thank you for all your help!

Whats Swing programming though? I've looked at the page explaining it, but I don't think I fully understand it. It's just a GUI for...Java? Or just for creating GUIs in Java?

I've already tried for Android tutorials, which is how I figured out I would need a little Java experience

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    FullCircle magazine did a series on learning Python. http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

Then they made a compendium of all the articles.You can download all the back issues.
    Here is a link to one of the special issues, do a search for the rest of them:
    http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2013/0...ion-volume-06/

P.S. They are free! (pdf format)
    That's amazing! I didn't realize any magazine would put of back issues for download.
    Thank you!

Beans

I think you'd better start coding in C.

Yes, coding in languages like python is easier, but you have to go for C/C++ after a while spending time to learning those. Since C++ is C with more features, i recommend learning C first.

You will be proud of yourself using C!
    Coding in C helps you "understand" programming. other powerful languages, like Java and PHP, are just similar to C in syntax -- the way you write the code, or the grammer of a language.

Luckily, Ubuntu comes with a great C compiler, GCC, you can simply write your code into a file and compile it through Terminal.
    Last edited by ehsanoo; May 19th, 2013 at 08:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Whats Swing programming though? I've looked at the page explaining it, but I don't think I fully understand it. It's just a GUI for...Java? Or just for creating GUIs in Java?
    It's the standard GUI toolkit for Java. Cross-platform, quite nicely designed but can be ugly, especially on Linux desktops. It used to be really slow but on modern machines, it's OK. I know of some big financial institutions that use it with Java Web Start for hot deployment of applications across a large number of desks but it's not a rewarding toolkit for casual and open-source developers.

The benefit of having some experience with Swing is that some of the design is carried across into Android. But you could just learn those by jumping direct to Android once you have the Java fundamentals, it's not essential to learn Swing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post
    It's the standard GUI toolkit for Java. Cross-platform, quite nicely designed but can be ugly, especially on Linux desktops. It used to be really slow but on modern machines, it's OK. I know of some big financial institutions that use it with Java Web Start for hot deployment of applications across a large number of desks but it's not a rewarding toolkit for casual and open-source developers.

The benefit of having some experience with Swing is that some of the design is carried across into Android. But you could just learn those by jumping direct to Android once you have the Java fundamentals, it's not essential to learn Swing.
    Hmm...well I want to get the most out of it that I can so I'll take a shot at Swing. Thats a while in the future though, I'm still learning how to dicipline myself for self-teaching. I also have to get down Python and Java.

Whats the NetBeans IDE though? You mentioned it in another post, but I skipped over it because I saw what I needed in the tutorial page. It said in this page, down at the bottom, you write once and then you can run it on all platforms.

Sorry about all the questions, I seem to have jumped into a fairly complicated field.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Netbeans is just a development tool for Java. It can do other languages too. It's pretty good. The other main one is Eclipse.

It's a good idea to do a couple of small programs with just a text editor and terminal but most Java programmers use IDEs.

The write once run anywhere thing is a feature of Java. Java programs are cross platform without needing recompilation. Read up about bytecode and JVM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

...But what about Java? Is there a website or anything that helps you learn Java? I haven't found anything myself, but then again I'm not sure what to look for as far as a simple learning website...
    JavaPassion
    Collected Java Practices
    Java Notes: Table of Contents
    Java Programming Resources
    Learn basics of java, tutorial for beginners, examples online
    Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented Design Patterns in Java
    Java Programming Forums

...Whats the NetBeans IDE though? You mentioned it in another post, but I skipped over it because I saw what I needed in the tutorial page. It said in this page, down at the bottom, you write once and then you can run it on all platforms....
    The fact that you write once and you can run it on all platforms is a characteristic of Java language, not of the Netbeans IDE itself. Because Java is compiled into byte-code which is interpreted by the Java Virtual Machine, that allows for code compiled on any operating system like Linux to be executed on any other operating system like Windows or Mac. Any machine that can run a Java Virtual Machine can run Java.

On Netbeans IDE, you might be interested in seeing this. I've been working with Netbeans since 2005 and I think it is the best IDE for working with Java, providing the best out-of-the-box experience for Java EE development, deployment, and debugging and already started providing support for several Java EE 7 features.
    Last edited by slickymaster; May 19th, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast