Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you pushed away from the command line?

Beans

Are you pushed away from the command line?

I'm not, I run Linux from scratch and Gentoo boxes but I'm talking about distros like Ubuntu where everything is graphical. Now I understand the reasoning behind it and it's slogan "Linux for human beings" and why ease of use is important, but the command line should not be shoved away.
    Granted I actually have to use the command line just to get past the first installer page (I think ubunter server solves this as I don't have to install it via gui, cli is better imo)

Do you think you're pushed away or closer to the command line, I always have it open or multiple depending on my workload.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Are you pushed away from the command line?

I still use the terminal on the desktop, when I feel like it, even though almost everything can be done using a gui app. I do the majority of my server administration remotely via the command line, as the server doesn't have a gui.

Beans
    Hidden!

The complexity of the command line vs the simplicity of the GUI?

Who wouldn't push the command line away?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Rukiri View Post
    ..., but the command line should not be shoved away. ...
    Shoved away by whom? I don't understand
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

I do sometime hesitate between using gui and cli . of course nothing will replace the terminal for efficiancy. also support and instructions will always fallback on cli because more systems are likely to share a cli command and you can cut and past them. so I think it's ok to take a break in the gui sometimes as long as you go back to the cli when it makes a differnce.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    The complexity of the command line...
    ...is just a perception issue. There's nothing complex about CLI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

... the command line should not be shoved away.
    This is something of a misnomer that is often trotted out, but isn't accurate.

I'm not aware of *any* Linux distribution that has actually removed the venerable character-based toolset. It's certainly there in Ubuntu for anyone to use, if they choose.

There is nothing in the use of command-line tools that is intrinsically virtuous. The command line is just one way of gathering user input. A GUI is another way. Once that information is acquired, the system deals with it in the same way.

Command-line functionality is often more extensive because those tools often offer a wider range of options. However, there's nothing inherent in a GUI that prevents its inclusion of every available option.

Another factor is the ability to pipe the output of one command line tool into another. This is the much vaunted "one simple tool for one simple task" approach. It has its limits, though, and doesn't really apply to modern applications. (Or, for that matter, to character-based applications developed soon after Unix hardware began to acquire more power and more memory.) For example, the concept of a browser or an office suite constructed as a pipeline of simple character-based tools is silly.

Neither approach is really "closer" to the OS, as is often claimed for the command line. Learning to configure and manipulate a Linux system via the command line teaches you to do just that: Use the command line to configure and manipulate a Linux system. It does not teach you how the system works. E.g., disabling a service in a GUI, or disabling a service by editing an init script, are just two different ways to tell the system to do something. If a user wants to understand how services work, how the init process works, etc., the user needs to study Unix/Linux OS design. He won't learn it from using a text editor to edit boot scripts in /etc.

My first OS was Unix, by chance, and I've used Linux and/or the BSD's since the early 1990's. I suppose I can wing my way around the command line as well as almost anyone. And, I do when I need to. But, most of the time I am quite happy to let the GUI tools handle the boring, mundane, grunt work. Could I partition my disks with fdisk/parted? Sure. Done it dozens of times. Could I write little backup shell scripts around rsync and trigger them via crontab? Sure, I've done that. But, if an installer's partitioning routine gets me to the same place, or a GUI wrapped around rysnc that generates its own script and plugs it into crontab works, I'm going to use them and save a bit of time for the other important things in my life.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you think you're pushed away or closer to the command line, I always have it open or multiple depending on my workload.
    I exclusively use Ubuntu. It's the only linux distro I've ever used. and I use the CLI all the time. I bought a book to help expand my use of it.

I came from Windows to Ubuntu. I knew absolutely nothing about the command line when I first came to Ubuntu and even had no interest in learning how to use it. Yet I somehow learned a bunch just by virtue of using Ubuntu and I continue to grow more and more compentent with it. Ubuntu, in my experience, is a great way to transition to learning how to use the command line.

Despite my increasing use and competence with CLI, I still find that I prefer GUI for a lot of things. But it's not that I don't know the CLI way of doing it.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    There is nothing in the use of command-line tools that is intrinsically virtuous. The command line is just one way of gathering user input. A GUI is another way. Once that information is acquired, the system deals with it in the same way.
    While in theory it's true, in practice it's wrong. GUI tools (whether Linux of Windows) tend to be less transparent as to what they actually do, worse documented and often unfit for scripting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've never had any trouble finding the terminal. Where's the "push away"?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast