Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signatures are bigger than post content...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Signatures are bigger than post content...

Is there a way to make some adjustment of size of signatures in order to get them a bit (or more, preferably) smaller than posts...
    Lately I've seen more signatures than post content... No pun intended...
    Last edited by zika; April 8th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Signatures are bigger than post content...

Have a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121348 which may help you with the new forum version layout. It will also depend on the browesr you're using, so read the whole thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Have a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121348 which may help you with the new forum version layout. It will also depend on the browesr you're using, so read the whole thread.
    I'm not writing about layout and such stuff... I'm suggesting some automated or compulsory shrinking of signatures, for example by using smallest font... Or something similar... Your post (the one that I'm answering to) is a very good example...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi Zika,

yea - we know - we're looking at shrinking profile information which should 'shrink' post size. It is though entirely possible that the 'small' post size previously was due to an unsupported plug-in - we were not privy to sufficient information to make that call.

Unfortunately while we were looking at things like this in staging - the majority of the posts being created with the data we had there, left it looking ok - there were either not enough people looking or not enough +1 posts

I hold my hands up to being human - sorry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    we are still looking at things - while I can see that using 'stylish' might help 'one' it would be better to get there for all - it might take a while, some of us are not only sometimes dispirited at times, we also get rather fed up
    - we are contrary to customary thought, all human and there are just 7 of us trying to get these things done with other's help

we've not finished - there are plugins still to look at - Canonical have to do that, but they are doing so - and frankly the communication between us is now I suspect better than it ever has been, you will I think remember those other times ...

we've not forgotten people asked for tapatalk ...

we've not forgotten people liked 'thanks'

we know which tools we have all lost ...

bear with us please

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post

I hold my hands up to being human - sorry
    And an insomniac like me too

It is quite possible to limit the sig content/size/character count
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    And an insomniac like me too

It is quite possible to limit the sig content/size/character count
    It isn't sig size/content/character count causing the issue. If it was that - then there would be no difference between this version and vb3.

If it was as simple as that we would have dealt with it.

It is though entirely possible that the 'small' post size previously was due to an unsupported plug-in - we were not privy to sufficient information to make that call.
    As has been said

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I'm not writing about layout and such stuff... I'm suggesting some automated or compulsory shrinking of signatures, for example by using smallest font... Or something similar... Your post (the one that I'm answering to) is a very good example...
    I did my bit. I've got mine down to a single line.

All the same, I think investing time in learning a little bit of css and the use of Stylish (available for Firefox and Chrome/Chromium), as mentioned, would be very useful for people to make things look the way they want irrespective of forum layout.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@zika, do you have your settings set to profile on top or profile on left? If profile on top, then a one line sig takes up a little more room that a one-line post. But if on the left, the sig area is much smaller than the post area, with a large amount of blank space in the post area if the post is short. As Elfy, mentioned, this latter is on our todo list. But as far as sigs being a little larger than posts, I'm not sure a forced smaller font size would be a good idea, even selective forcing. There would be complaints about readability.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @zika, do you have your settings set to profile on top or profile on left? If profile on top, then a one line sig takes up a little more room that a one-line post. But if on the left, the sig area is much smaller than the post area, with a large amount of blank space in the post area if the post is short. As Elfy, mentioned, this latter is on our todo list. But as far as sigs being a little larger than posts, I'm not sure a forced smaller font size would be a good idea, even selective forcing. There would be complaints about readability.
    I'll answer to all of You in this post... Simple solution: using the smallest font for all signatures... I really do not see problem in readability... I know several dozen of signatures by heart looking at them several times a day... Is my signature readable enough? I think it is and I think even that is more than needed... I planned to cancel it, but I decided to keep it while this thread is alive just to make a point... Non-selective forcing and that is my solution...
    I'll try a left soluton...
    Update₁: Yes, I just tried „left“ solution and it does not change much. Random post that is good example: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12592248 ... And the one below this one... Take a better look where divider is... I even did not remember whose posts that are...
    Last edited by zika; April 7th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast