Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Web Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Web Server

If you want a static external IP address then this has to be arranged with your ISP.

Even if you do know the DHCP range, gateway address and name server addresses you can't just give yourself a static IP in this range.
    First of all how do you know that someone else hasn't been assigned the address you are trying to use?
    Also your ISP may well have a system in place where any device has to have been given an address by the DHCP server or it won't be allowed to connect to the network. Most ISP's that I know of have this sort of setup.

At the end of the day your ISP is in charge of all of the IP addresses that they own. It's up to them, not you, how they get assigned.
    Your ISP will probably be happy to give you a static IP if you ask them, although they will probably charge you for it.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; April 7th, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by burge38 View Post
    I beg to differ brother the dhcp range is in charge of giving us ip address the ISP has no control over who receives what ip address they have a range the dhcp protocols invoke this range the router updates we get ip to get a static we need to know dns servers then when we apply from our router the dhcp protocls on network update to static then the static ip protocols kick in and I am given one from a pre defined range no humans need be involved.
    Like it or not, the DHCP service that assigns your public IP address is operated by your ISP. It is beyond the control of your router.

The DHCP service running on your router can only assign IP addresses to the computers on your local network. It cannot change your public IP address.

Your ISP would be very unhappy if your router interfered with the correct operation of their service, and you are unlikely to get help here with trying to violate your ISP's terms of service.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Sorry if I sounded horrible then no seriously I was laughing wasn't until I read the thread again how it seem to others forgot I was not on social networking my apology's mod peace

Beans

I know we are not given ip address on some humans qwim what happens is their is an SQL database containing the already given out ip addresses to the network ie bt may be using 10000 to 20000 well every time so the static server protocols access database and give the next available free address in the range how do you think a network admin would do this he would update my router to be static then the next time the network sends dhcp to router it returns static then the static protocols kick in on the server it accesses database recalls next ip address in range and assigns this to my router all I want to do is cut the operator out I get how it works brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    If you want a static external IP address then this has to be arranged with your ISP.

Even if you do know the DHCP range, gateway address and name server addresses you can't just give yourself a static IP in this range.
    First of all how do you know that someone else hasn't been assigned the address you are trying to use?
    Also your ISP may well have a system in place where any device has to have been given an address by the DHCP server or it won't be allowed to connect to the network. Most ISP's that I know of have this sort of setup.

At the end of the day your ISP is in charge of all of the IP addresses that they own. It's up to them, not you, how they get assigned.
    Your ISP will probably be happy to give you a static IP if you ask them, although they will probably charge you for it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Closed for review.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

static ip addreess for world to see

late Monday night I found a tutorial on how to get a static ip address from isp like the other tutorials I followed I didn't expect it to work. to be honest it didn't I went to bed defeated again. Turned of the router computer and the server in dismay. When I woke in the morning and switched pc on powered up the server I was amazed to discover the link I put on my websites main page www.raveskool.com were still pointing to the ip address I chose in the setup that didn't work after tutorial. So I switched router off (TEN) times now surely if dhcp was enabled my ip address would have changed, and what's the chance if dhcp assigning the ip I chose 24 hours later. Don't understand thought this was impossible according to this forum. anyways I did phone up isp and tell them I was moving and require business account witch is only 6gbp a month more. may be they gave me a static ip even if they did how did they choose the one I chose in the tutorial. yes I know you want links just looked at that many have to trawl my history shouldn't take long I post link to it in a bit. will some one please tell me what is going on as I thought I was getting to grips with Linux obviously wrong about that too kind regards (full stops are for people who cant say what they got to say in one breath usually old people) that's my excuse

Beans
    Hidden!

New thread merged with existing thread.

As has already been explained, your public IP address, which is what people visiting your website will use, is administered by your ISP. You will need to talk to your ISP if you want a static public IP address.

You will need to configure your router to forward requests made via your public IP address to the private IP address assigned to your server by your router. This we can try to help with.
    Last edited by lisati; April 11th, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    My Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123