Thread: HP G-60 233nr laptop BIOS setup access to change boot sequence?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HP G-60 233nr laptop BIOS setup access to change boot sequence?

Ok, HP says F10 or F1 to access bios setup, neither works, I've tried every button and every combination of buttons I've ever used to access a bios setup screen on a computer for the last 20 years... The BIOS was made in 2008. Anyone have any ideas? I need to change boot sequence to boot from USB and install Ubuntu... I don't even own a DVD burner, so that's not an option...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HP G-60 233nr laptop BIOS setup access to change boot sequence???

This is newer info, but not sure it changed.

UEFI/BIOS Boot keys - about halfway down on this Microsoft page
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ows-to-go.aspx

This is also newer:

HP to get into UEFI/BIOS menu - escape then f10 as soon as it starts.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=5171079
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Re: HP G-60 233nr laptop BIOS setup access to change boot sequence?

None of these methods have gotten me into the BIOS setup... I'm going to wind up formatting the HD and see if a blank HD will allow the USB to be booted from, if not, I'll get access to a DVD burner and put the image on DVD and hope it's enabled as a boot device. At this point, the only thing HP has going for it is that HP printers almost always work with Linux. I'll stick with their printers, but I won't be purchasing any of their computers again, ever. I don't like consumer grade hardware (I hate gorilla glass) and I'm a Lenovo and Toshiba man anyway...

Thanks for the suggestions, I had already tried them but tried them again, I've been accessing system BIOS for 20 years and never encountered this issue before this POS HP laptop (I've done some more research on it and found that it has a slew of hardware issue complaints, including WIFI that is iffy at best and they had a couple of BIOS updates) I don't know what they've done in subsequent models to address these documented issues, but I'm not impressed with HP computers

I'll keep trying for a little while regardless, I hate to give up, regardless of my saying I'm tired of messing with it. I am wondering though, most computers have a "fast boot" feature in bios that runs past without checking memory, etc, right to the selected boot device. I wonder if their "fast boot" is just too fast? I've never seen that, but anything is possible...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Wow, that's crazy. Normally F1 or Del gets me into BIOS for just about anything I have messed with.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans
    Distro

Me too, I've never had this kind of trouble getting into any system BIOS before this.