Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Alienware gameing machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Ubuntu Alienware gameing machine.

Check this out!

Ubuntu’s stylish, intuitive interface provides a clean and streamlined experience that is easy to use. Ubuntu works with music, videos, photos and files that you use on your current PC. Its open-source operating system allows users to experience Ubuntu in a flexible manner that is unique to their preferences and its flexible interface can be customized to suit the user’s needs.
    http://alienware.com/ubuntu/
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who is also exploring Minecraft. Want to join us? Let us know.

http://linuxinternationals.org/

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Alienware gameing machine.

Yes fantastic news indeed! Ubuntu (desktop Linux) is finally taking off.

Beans
    Hidden!

Very awesome indeed.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro

Some people on other news sites have been saying "This is stupid, there's only 1/10th the number of Steam games on Linux as on Windows, nobody would buy this" but they are forgetting people who only use Ubuntu and want a PC they can also use for games.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Some people on other news sites have been saying "This is stupid, there's only 1/10th the number of Steam games on Linux as on Windows, nobody would buy this" but they are forgetting people who only use Ubuntu and want a PC they can also use for games.
    I tend to agree with these folks only in the sense that it's a little early to push Ubuntu as a gaming platform with so few games on Steam.

On the other hand I think these machines appeal to more than just gamers as they would obviously make great HTPCs.

Beans

Those systems look very expensive to me. I could build something much better I reckon.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

you can always build something better, but some people like myself never want to do that again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gaming on Ubuntu has much more chance of taking off with the backing of companies like Alienware. Just the fact that they are offering these systems will send a message to the rest of the industry, and to the gamers.

So far it's been a classic chicken and egg situation - not many games because studios can't see the benefit of porting when the audience is small. Small audience because there are not many games.

This could be the start of something huge.
    Last edited by treb0r; April 6th, 2013 at 11:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Those systems look very expensive to me. I could build something much better I reckon.
    Yes, but the same sleek integrated look? The home-theatre form factor? Nearly noiseless? With suspend and hibernate support on Ubuntu?

You might be able to do it, but it would be a hell of a lot of hassle to find everything; and it might be more expensive than the Alienware.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I don't agree it's too early to start pushing Ubuntu as gaming platform. Once Steam was announced for Ubuntu Linux it goes without saying.

About people opposing this idea who really care what they think i know i don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast