Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call for Testing: Mir and multi-monitor

Beans

Call for Testing: Mir and multi-monitor

I know these forums have been buzzing already all cycle with fun Mir testing, but I would invite you all to participate in this last test before feature freeze for Mir which includes multi-monitor support. Go find any unknown bugs and let the team know how it's working on your machines. They've setup a wiki page with all the info you need here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mir/MultiMonitorTesting

Happy Testing everyone!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Call for Testing: Mir and multi-monitor

Yay, something else to do on my days off, as if I don't have enough to do already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I tired already with SandyBridge/nVidia... lost network on first try.

Will keep trying.

@nick

Excellent wiki link nick. Thanks !

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Yay, something else to do on my days off, as if I don't have enough to do already.

I get up usually at 3:00am and go from there. Any time I spend testing Ubuntu I consider space/time in between

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I get up usually at 3:00am and go from there. Any time I spend testing Ubuntu I consider space/time in between
    My work day starts at 10:30PM PST, I normally get up around 5:30PM so even though the times are different I do about the same thing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    My work day starts at 10:30PM PST, I normally get up around 5:30PM so even though the times are different I do about the same thing.

I did midnights on and off for about 7 years. One of my proffs way back said . "The best programs are written between 11:00 pm and 4:00am in the morning." Go figure

However .. 90% of the time I find for Ubuntu is quality time. I have more freedom to experiment and there is less downtime.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I did midnights on and off for about 7 years. One of my proffs way back said . "The best programs are written between 11:00 pm and 4:00am in the morning." Go figure

However .. 90% of the time I find for Ubuntu is quality time. I have more freedom to experiment and there is less downtime.

Isn't that the truth! You don't even feel fully awake until 2 am when you are on a coding high like that

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Bummer. Acer Aspire 5253 wide screen notebook with 1600x900 external monitor ATI Radeon saucy 3.11.0-4 followed instructions in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mir/MultiMonitorTesting rebooted to 2 black screens.
    Booted in recovery mode and now ubuntu thinks the external monitor is built in, with 1152 resolution, and the real built in is black.
    "top" shows Xorg, no hint of compositor, screen is patchy and jerky.

ubuntu reports internal error, bug report failed because of "third party packages" i.e. mir?

Disconnected external monitor, reboots to black screen on real built in.
    Booted with only built in in recovery mode. Only gets 1024x768 not 1366.
    screen patchy and jerky. "top" shows Xorg no hint of mir or compositor.

Wrote bug report Bug 1217637.

Now what, apt-get remove system compositor? Remove the ppa? Re-install saucy? So I booted 13.04 in another partition. Time to do a zsync.

BTW, I do have a netbook (this one) with external monitor and Intel graphics. I could try mir on that after I get the wide screen notebook going again.

Added Xorg.0.log, Xorg.1.log, Xorg, Xorg.failsafe.log, .xsession.errors. Looks to me like Xorg couldn't understand the graphics controller - no problem before mir install.
    Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
    Last edited by jerrylamos; August 28th, 2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Added info to the bug report

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nskaggs View Post
    Isn't that the truth! You don't even feel fully awake until 2 am when you are on a coding high like that
    Back in 1990 it was awesome. I'd be in the com-sci lab until 7am! on the VAX-UNIX and IBM-XTs with CGA monitors using DOS 3.0! lol

Now I am doing some O'clocking with a 3.4GHz gallatin on an ASUS board .. running saucy on fvwm-crystal at 4.002 GHz. ! LOL

Unity and Gnome Fallback are having a hard time with the overclock, not to mention dual monitors

Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-asus-aiproactive-extreme:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu Saucy Salamander (development branch)
    Release:    13.10
    Codename:    saucy
    ventrical@ventrical-asus-aiproactive-extreme:~$ uname -a
    Linux ventrical-asus-aiproactive-extreme 3.11.0-3-generic #7-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 20 15:25:23 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    ventrical@ventrical-asus-aiproactive-extreme:~$ sudo dmidecode -t processor | grep "Speed"
        Max Speed: 4000 MHz
        Current Speed: 4002 MHz
    ventrical@ventrical-asus-aiproactive-extreme:~$

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast