Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Unable to boot

Temp seems okay. The only other thing I can suggest at this point is to look at your logs to see if anything unusual is being registered. Especially syslog and bootlog. I've never used Zorin and don't know anything about it, but since it is Ubuntu-based, then both logs should be at /var/log/. You will have to use a text editor to look at both. dmesg is also worth looking at but can be seen just typing dmesg into a terminal.

Are you using proprietary video drivers? I believe the D630 uses an nVidia chipset, but again, I know nothing about Zorin, so no idea if they install proprietary nVidia drivers or use the open source nouveau. You might try changing video drivers to see if that helps.

To diagnose possible HW problems, I've used UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) available here.

Beans

It happened again tonight. Suddenly the screen started to flicker and then the system froze. After trying shut down/reboot several times, I could come back on. My F2 trick did not work the first few times. One of the times it booted into Zorin, I got the desktop background on the external monitor. It was flickering every few seconds and nothing else happened and i realized that the system was frozen. Temperature is normal 52`C.

Thanks.

Beans

The problem happened again yesterday. It seems that finally I have run out of luck. Pressing F2 before Dell logo shows up, brings up Dell logo and then I get a blinking cursor. The same thing happens even if I press F2 (BIOS) or F12 boot menu. I tried with LIVE CDs of Zorin as well as 12.04. All i get is the blinking cursor.

I will try the UBCD to see if it helps.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you cannot bring up the system BIOS, then you have a hardware problem that neither this forum nor any software can help with. The D630 is not worth fixing in my view, but the parts may be salvageable for any other D630 you may have. Good Luck!
    Last edited by DuckHook; April 11th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Beans

It came back up again without the LIVE CD. Hopefully it will come back up this evening.

Now I have the UBCD made. How do I use this?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you have downloaded UBCD, you will know that it is a collection of diagnostic utilities so extensive that it is impossible to give you instructions on a help forum. The UBCD site is a good one and provides not only a FAQ, but tutorials to deal with the most common tools. Please use the instructions provided on the UBCD site.

I am 99% sure that you are wasting your time on this one. In my experience, intermittent and deteriorating ability to boot is the sign of borked hardware, likely your video chip or your motherboard. Software issues tend to be all or nothing affairs: so if your problem is, say, a video driver, then it would simply give you a black screen (or whatever wonky result) each and every time. We've reached the point where I'm afraid there is no further advice I can offer you beyond what has already been offered in above threads.

http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com/index...itle=Main_Page
    Last edited by DuckHook; April 12th, 2013 at 05:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12