Thread: install ubuntu12.10 selecting "do something else" a complete chaos

Threaded View

Beans

install ubuntu12.10 selecting "do something else" a complete chaos

I install Ubuntu 12.10 on a 1 TB drive /dev/sda as the only operating system, no raid or LVM, simple partitions.

My goal is to have the /dev/sda1 mounted on "/", /dev/sda2 mounted on "/home", /dev/sda3 not used at installation time and will be formatted later & mounted as needed for backup purposes
    and /dev/sda4 as swap.

Sound simple, I started the installation, and at the prompt for the partitioning I clicked "do something else".
    I create a new partition table.
    Defined /dev/sda1 as ext4 over "/".
    Defined /dev/sda2 as ext4 over "/home".
    Now comes the cause for the problems- I defined /dev/sda3 as "Not Used" which is one of the available options on the partition type.
    Last defined the /dev/sda4 as swap.
    When the system continues it shows a message that it can't proceed since partition 3 is busy and need to reboot, some other times it says that it can't define the partition, and some times it manages to finish the installation, I have no idea why there are few different scenarios my guess is that although I request to create a new partition table is actually didn't clean the older information and some flags remain there for the new attempt which looks like a bug by itself.
    If and when I manage to complete the installation, I can't create a file system on the /dev/sda3 and get a message that the partition is busy although it does not show on /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab or /proc/mounts or when I do- sudo udisks --dump , also the mounting folder is a new one and no one is using it.

I tried to smart Ubuntu and defined the "/", "/home" and swap, leaving unused space after swap so I can partition it later using a script with "parted", but when I tried partition with parted I got an error that I am trying to create a partition outside of the device space which is completely incorrect !

Is there any expert that can put some order in this story, what is wrong with what I am trying to do or with how I do it?
    Last edited by dvks; April 6th, 2013 at 12:12 AM.