Thread: Proxy information?

Beans

Proxy information?

I am in the process of installing Ubuntu 12.04.2 server and I have a screen telling me, " The proxy information should be given in the standard form of, http://[user][pass]@]host[port]/". I have no clue what it is asking for. I tried to go on without submitting proxy info, but it went to a purple screen I couldn't get past. Now I have it back to where I was. I would greatly appreciate help. Thank You in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Proxy information???

If you aren't using a proxy then just leaving it blank and hitting enter will continue on with the installation.

If this isn't happening the first thing I would do is check the integrity of your installation media as a corrupt CD will cause these sort of issues.

First of all have you checked the MD5SUM of your download to make sure it's OK? If your MD5SUM checks out then the next step is to use the 'Check this disc for errors' option when you boot from the CD. If both of these tests pass then we can start looking at other possibilities, but most of the time installation errors such as yours are caused by a bad CD.
    Cheesemill

Beans

I am booting from a USB stick and installing on a formatted system, all that's there is the BIOS. As I said previously, I tried hitting enter and bypassing the request, but it just went to a purple screen and stopped. Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to make this unit into a file server for remote access to media and files. The unit is connected directly to my modem via ethernet cable.
    Last edited by rouletterun; April 5th, 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It doesn't matter that you are using a USB stick instead of a CD to perform the installation, you still need to perform the checks in my first post to make sure your installation media is OK.
    Cheesemill