Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: white window overlaying desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: white window overlaying desktop

can't you copy the normal desktop bacground and rename it blinds.jpg and put that in /usr/share/backgrounds/gnome/ instead of the one thats there ?
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

I've found a solution for fixing it rolling back without needing to reinstall the whole system.

1. remove the gnome3 ppa repositories
    2. purge gnome-shell*
    3. purge nautilus*
    4. purge unity*
    5. purge gnome-session*
    6. install nautilus unity ubuntu-desktop

Beans

I don't know if it was mc4man or someone else. But however or whomever figured out this bug, CHEERS!! Well done!

Beans

I upgraded to 13.04 release today and struck this bug after installing gnome-shell and the gnome3 ppa. I experienced it on both a standard ubuntu iso + apt-get install gnome-shell, and also on a ubuntu GNOME iso install. Happened when installing on my host system and also when I installed as a new Virtualbox guest so it just seems a generic bug. The white screen disappears if I disable the file manager from managing my desktop via gnome-tweak-tool.
    Last edited by markbl; April 26th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.

Beans

I have the same problem here (Ubuntu Gnome) after add Gnome Team ppa and run dist-upgrade command. The command...
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false
    does not solve the problem. Also no result if I disable the file manager from managing my desktop via gnome-tweak-tool.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glaubersm View Post
    I have the same problem here (Ubuntu Gnome) after add Gnome Team ppa and run dist-upgrade command. The command...

does not solve the problem. Also no result if I disable the file manager from managing my desktop via gnome-tweak-tool.
    Hi guys, I have experienced this problem today as I upgrade to 13.04 and then active gnome3 ppa package.
    The solution for this was to restore nautilus package to prev. version.
    To do this, you may use synaptics and on package nautilus from menu > packages and switch version.

Beans

Great work! I ended up purging the Gnome PPA completely

Can't seem to use your solution though. When I have Nautilus selected in Synaptec, it has the force version option greyed out. Any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DefinityX View Post
    Great work! I ended up purging the Gnome PPA completely
    The reason I want the gnome ppa is to get gnome-shell 3.8 instead of the default 3.6 on ubuntu 13.04. The activities view scales windows much smarter in 3.8 compared to 3.6.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have any of you that have run into this problem, tried another background, rather than the default ones? When I had the problem, the only default background that would work was /usr/share/backgrounds/gnome/Blinds.jpg. I'm currently using another background from my wallpaper collection which does work without a problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    The reason I want the gnome ppa is to get gnome-shell 3.8 instead of the default 3.6 on ubuntu 13.04. The activities view scales windows much smarter in 3.8 compared to 3.6.
    If you want to use Gs 3.8 & Gnome 3.8* then no reason not to but it's not a bug, you can't have nautilus handle the Desktop anymore.
    The 'white screen' is just your Desktop folder.
    (If you were to delete your Desktop folder then you'd see another folder, maybe Home, I forget which one is next in line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast