Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nautilus function "Open with" removed?

Beans

Re: Nautilus function "Open with" removed?

I really don't like how i am not able to rearrange icons inside Nautilus from right click context menu anymore. Probably i was doing it wrong for decades?

Thank you GNOME you are the best!

Beans

I think it's safe to say GNOME did wrong with:

-Removal of useful features from right click context menu and making it very basic and quite un-useful (i don't want to use the word useless).
    -Removal of selecting drop-down options from connect to server dialogue and making it very basic and quite un-useful (i don't want to use the word useless).
    -Removal of dual pane.
    -Removal of...

It did OK with:

-Redesign of the GUI.
    -Adding recursive search in.
    -Adding...

It's safe to say in my opinion if GNOME would just do redesign and add some nice features it would do a lot of good but they decided they should remove a bunch of stuff and in my opinion they didn't have rationale to do it. It doesn't just affect small margin of users it affect probably the whole user base because a lot of small features where removed in small period of time.

What can we do about it? Not much i guess but that still doesn't mean they did the right thing.

Thank you but what means "You're not at the proper terminal prompt"? Excuse-me I'm a newbie and my english is very poor :]
    --- well I undestood
    Last edited by Jean-Christophe Sekinger; May 1st, 2013 at 08:04 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Christophe Sekinger View Post
    Thank you but what means "You're not at the proper terminal prompt"? Excuse-me I'm a newbie and my english is very poor :]
    The prompt should be "~/nautilus_build/nautilus-3.6.3$" It means you should first change your directory into this directory before you execute the patch command. Before you run the patch you are one level up in the directory ~/nautilus_build (see your prompt)

so to change directory to the subdirectory ~/nautilus_build/nautilus-3.6.3 you first type

Code:
    cd nautilus-3.6.3
    And then run the patch command.

EDITED: by default when you start the terminal you are always in /Home/yourusername ( which is the same as ~/) and you move to a subdirectory using the cd command followed by the path after yourusename. So to change directory into some folder on the desktop (~/Desktop/foldername) you do "cd Desktop/foldername" etc. (you can omit the ~/ if you start out in your home directory)
    "cd .. " means going one level up from your current directory. so if you see the prompt "~/nautilus_build/nautilus-3.6.3$", running "cd .." (without quote) would bring you to ~/nautilus_build and the prompt would become just "~/nautilus_build$"
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 1st, 2013 at 08:18 PM.

@mc4man: Every thing was right! Many many thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Christophe Sekinger View Post
    @mc4man: Every thing was right! Many many thanks!
    Please stop all disscusions of 13.04 in this Ubuntu + 1 Sub-Forums. Now that the 13.10 Nightly Builds are up on the CDImage.Ubuntu.Com Download Server, you should only be Discussing 13.10 in this Ubuntu + 1 Sub-Forum. Otherwise I will have to start Reporting Posts that continue to Discuss 13.04 in this Ubuntu + 1 Sub-Forum! This is your Final Warning!
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    Please stop all disscusions of 13.04 in this Ubuntu + 1 Sub-Forums. Now that the 13.10 Nightly Builds are up on the CDImage.Ubuntu.Com Download Server, you should only be Discussing 13.10 in this Ubuntu + 1 Sub-Forum. Otherwise I will have to start Reporting Posts that continue to Discuss 13.04 in this Ubuntu + 1 Sub-Forum! This is your Final Warning!

Officially Saucy development doesn't start until Thursday May 2, see the release schedule here, and even then there are many issues that are being brought forward from the current release, so I feel these conversations are still relevant.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234