Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus function "Open with" removed?

Beans

Re: System Settings>Details>Default Applications

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    If you just want to open videos with VLC, have you tried System Settings>Details>Default Applications ?
    It's nice that at some point someone fixed that setting to actually be useful. (hadn't noticed till you mentioned.
    In the past it only set a default for one mimetype, in the case of video that would of been video/x-ogm+ogg. Now it sets chosen app as default for all 'known' video/* types.
    So in the case of files a useful settings option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nautilus function "Open with" removed?

Greetings,
    Actually, I just duplicated the whole process in Krusader. I mapped a folder containing a set of vob files to VLC Media Player and when I right click on the folder I can choose VLC and it will then load and play the entire movie. This is a useful feature.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans

nautilus updated to 15, it's a no nothing update that probably won't be any value to you, but is an update avail.
    Still no time till weekend (tax stuff first) to explain how to patch directly, commit changes, ect. so you can take care of down the road yourself
    (open with can also be re-enabled in nautilus-3.8

So if inclined, for simplicity's sake will attach a new debdiff. Just delete all the files in nautilus_build & do exactly as before except use this diff instead.
    So only change would be patch command, use
    Code:
    patch -Np1 -i ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu15.1.debdiff
    (- would be nicer if Ubuntu just put this back, I guess only a few see the value, none that matter...
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1026254
    Last edited by mc4man; April 30th, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: removed outdated debdiff, use one in post 26

Beans
    Distro

You're the Hero!
    /Jos

Linux on the desktop (Dutch): http://www.digiplace.nl
    We write about Linux (Dutch) http://www.linuxweblogs.nl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    A big thank you! Thank you very much. It worked! I 'm happy and excited. This is the perfect example why open source is the perfect . environment.
    Indeed it is, but it is also a perfect example of why open source is a hazardous environment as the cloistered developers can often make self-serving drastic work-flow disrupting changes that get propagated to everyone else. I can't believe they'd do this, drop a major function without a deprecation period, it is wholly irresponsible.

but yes, we're not tied to them, are we. We could, we can and do, simply 'fix' their blunders back and trade that fix among those in the know, although that's too bad for the rest but here's hoping someone forks Nautilus and offers the Rest Of The World the same option

Thanks for posting that fix, btw, much appreciated. It isn't just VLC reading DVD images, but also Audacious, EasyTag and SoundConverter reading mp3 dirs, ImageMagick reading image dirs, Kino building a video clip collection, Emacs opening src dirs ...

Really it is the whole paradigm of modern data-driven (not 80's era app driven) workflow, but I digress.

The other nice thing about an Open Source O/S is we can shop elsewhere with a mouse-click. Anyone got any recommendations for alternative Unity file browsers?

Beans

There are a whole host of good reasons to have open with in nautilus, but the Gnome devs & Ubuntu/Debian maintainers don't see it that way.
    Attached is new debdiff for the .16, just use as before & adjust the patch command to reflect new debdiff name
    Code:
     patch -Np1 -i ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu16.1.debdiff
    Never did get around to explaining how to manually patch, commit changes, ect. but for those that know, ect. will attach just the patch, line adjusted for the current .16 raring source (either use the debdiff or patch, not both...
    nautilus 3.8 can also still be patched
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mc4man; April 30th, 2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: code boxed patch command

1. I extracted the 2 files in folder nautilus_build
    2. typed "patch -Np1 -i ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu16.1.debdiff" in the terminal
    3. but I have that error:
    ~/nautilus_build$ patch -Np1 -i ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu16.1.debdiff
    patch: **** Can't open patch file ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu16.1.debdiff : No such file or directory

what can I do?

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

sudo apt-get install patch

Patch was already installed. The error message is the same :/

----
    solved : http://tinyurl.com/c7j89tb
    Last edited by Jean-Christophe Sekinger; April 30th, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Christophe Sekinger View Post
    1. I extracted the 2 files in folder nautilus_build
    2. typed "patch -Np1 -i ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu16.1.debdiff" in the terminal
    3. but I have that error:<br>~/nautilus_build$ patch -Np1 -i ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu16.1.debdiff<br>patch: **** Can't open patch file ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu16.1.debdiff : No such file or directory
    what can I do?
    This is basically the same mistake you were making on LP, that's why I suggested to come here & use the 2 posts I linked. You're not at the proper terminal prompt when running the patch command

If you were to follow post 15 exactly & completely you'd be fine. So to repeat - start over, use all the commands in #15 except for the patch command, for that use what you were using

patch -Np1 -i ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu16.1.debdiff

I also posted some screens in post 15 to help out & bolded some things, look at them as you go, ect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast