Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus function "Open with" removed?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nautilus function "Open with" removed?

I would like to use the function "open with" in Nautilus. This was default with earlier releases so you could open a VIDEO_TS map with VLC. I don't seem to find this feature within 13.04. Is there a dconf setting, a plugin or has it been removed?
    /Jos

Linux on the desktop (Dutch): http://www.digiplace.nl
    We write about Linux (Dutch) http://www.linuxweblogs.nl

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Nautilus function "Open with" removed?

that option is still there; maybe you need to check if all the default packages are installed (ubuntu-desktop, or else), then run:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a
    ( be patient, it can take a while to endup itself)

Beans
    Distro

Just did a fresh install of 13.04 beta 2 and the option is not available. Ubuntu-desktop is installed and sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a didn't do the trick.
    /Jos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I would like to use the function "open with" in Nautilus. This was default with earlier releases so you could open a VIDEO_TS map with VLC. I don't seem to find this feature within 13.04. Is there a dconf setting, a plugin or has it been removed?
    Works here fine.
    You mean you cannot do this:
    Find (with nautilus) the appropriate file you want to open.
    Then right-mouse click the file and choose the option "open with".

Beans
    Distro

No..that works indeed. I however would like to have this function with a map instead of a file. That was common with former editions of Ubuntu. The reason why is because I have several dvd's stored on my computer. If you can select a map (within this map you have VIDEO_TS) you can choose to open this map with another appllication like totem or VLC.
    /Jos

Beans
    Distro

I'm guessing by "map" you mean "folder" and yes Nautilus 3.6+ does not include "Open With" for folders. If you just want to open videos with VLC, have you tried System Settings>Details>Default Applications ?

Beans

Re: System Settings>Details>Default Applications

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    If you just want to open videos with VLC, have you tried System Settings>Details>Default Applications ?
    It's nice that at some point someone fixed that setting to actually be useful. (hadn't noticed till you mentioned.
    In the past it only set a default for one mimetype, in the case of video that would of been video/x-ogm+ogg. Now it sets chosen app as default for all 'known' video/* types.
    So in the case of files a useful settings option.

Beans

It was removed in nautilus starting with 3.6 & declined to be restored in Ubuntu packages, a rather short-sighted decision but one nonetheless.
    (at times I've found *some* VIDEO_TS folders are better opened from vlc as a dvd disc thru the browse option, that ensures proper dvd nav.

If you truly find useful (i do), then easily restored thru simple patch & build of nautilus, whether 3.6 or 3.8

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It was removed in nautilus starting with 3.6 & declined to be restored in Ubuntu packages, a rather short-sighted decision but one nonetheless.
    (at times I've found *some* VIDEO_TS folders are better opened from vlc as a dvd disc thru the browse option, that ensures proper dvd nav.

If you truly find useful (i do), then easily restored thru simple patch & build of nautilus, whether 3.6 or 3.8
    A simple patch & build sounds good but I don't know how to do that I'm afraid.
    /Jos

Beans

A simple patch & build sounds good but I don't know how to do that I'm afraid.
    I'm a bit pressed for time till the weekend so can't really give you a decent walkthru to do a good build & install.
    Myself prefer to package build nautilus source in to the 6 packages, then replace the ones installed, usually 5 here, you likely would only need 3 of the 6.
    Also it's possible nautilus will update again before release so you'd have to do again, a good reason to have a decent understanding, ect.

IF you wish now I'll give you something quick & easy, will take care of all changes for you & give you a slightly higher nautilus version but allow you to be notified if nautilus updates. (at which point we can re-address more verbosely, you don't have to update till ready to redo on your own with patch.

So if inclined now instead of just a patch we'll use a debdiff, this is good as written just for the current 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu14 source only

in terminal -
    Code:
    mkdir nautilus_build && cd nautilus_build
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep nautilus
    Code:
    apt-get source nautilus && cd nautilus-3.6.3
    Leave the terminal open, download attached, extract the debdiff & place in nautilus_build folder as in screen 1
    Back at terminal -
    Code:
     *removed*, use one in post 26
    You should see this -
    ~/nautilus_build/nautilus-3.6.3$ patch -Np1 -i ../nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu14.1.debdiff
    patching file debian/changelog
    patching file debian/patches/open_with.patch
    patching file debian/patches/series
    If so then build packages
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc
    When done -
    Code:
    cd .. && mkdir in && cd in
    should look like in screen 2. Leave the terminal open at "in" prompt & move all the nautius source packages you currently have installed into the 'in' folder, probably only 3 -
    libnautilus-extension1a_3.6.3-0ubuntu14.1
    nautilus-data_3.6.3-0ubuntu14.1_all.deb
    nautilus_3.6.3-0ubuntu14.1

The libnautilus-extension-dev & gir1.2-nautilus-3.0_3.6.3-0ubuntu14.1 packages are only needed if you are building other sources that depend on them, if you have them installed then also move into the "in" folder , the nautilus-dbg package you don't need at all. Screen 3 show in folder with the 3 min packages inside.

After moving all needed into the "in" folder back at the terminal which should be at the ~/nautilus_build/in$ prompt -
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Should complete without error, if there is it would be from adding to many or too little packages to the "in" folder. In that case adjust & rerun the above command till it completes error free. Then restart nautilus or log out/in & you should be good to go
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; April 30th, 2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: removed outdated debdiff, use one in post 26

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast