Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming back to Ubuntu, but have seen red flags...

Beans

Re: Coming back to Ubuntu, but have seen red flags...

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Covered ad nauseum.

Moved to Recurring.
    Sorry... I must have been using the wrong search terms. I will check these archives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bonejob View Post
    Thank you! What was murky has been made clear!

Mostly clear, anyway...

Are you saying that this controversial implementation of online search is not part of Ubuntu 12.04?
    Yes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Sorry... I must have been using the wrong search terms. I will check these archives.
    Generally speaking - if you come across something that's in the slightest way controversial then you can bet your last penny that the subject will have been ground to dust already

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

... I remember ubuntuforums.org as a place where people from newbies to experts could get information. Has it in the interim degenerated into one of those forums where snide sarcasm and snarkiness rule the discourse?
    No, but people tend to get just a wee bit testy when the same questions are asked over and over again

If you look at the sections which have questions and answers relating to actual support, you'll probably agree that discourse there is, by and large, quite civil. But as SNG sang a while back, a man see what he wants to see and disregards the rest or words to that effect.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

This topic is so done to death and really is a non issue as the online search can be turned off and or removed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Yeah the 1984 reference is because i do think he is a bit on the, shall we say "paranoid" side about such things...seems to think there is some kind of evil intent about it...just my impressions, of course

As i mentioned, so easy to turn it off if you don't want to participate in it, so you should not let that "turn you off" as it were...

You know, what i find interesting is, it seems when ubuntu does something like this, there is a big hue and cry about it...and yet, just to give an example, Linux Mint has "support" ads on their forum (which as you have noticed, ubuntu forums do not)...and they also have an arrangement with duckduckgo search to be the default in firefox on mint (for which they also get support back from)...

And yet over there, no one seems to mind in the slightest...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you saying that this controversial implementation of online search is not part of Ubuntu 12.04?
    Correct, the Amazon search results are not in 12.04.

However, if you go to the Music lens your search query will go to 7Digital, and if you use the Videos lens your search query will go to several different online video sites. Including one in China.

Nobody ever kicked up a fuss about those, partly because you don't get online search results from Dash Home, and partly because none of these companies is as big as Amazon. Sometimes the truth hurts.

If you're now worried about the Music and Videos lenses of 12.04, I'll just remind you that whenever you visit a website, your computer automatically sends the following to the website:

1. The page you last visited
    2. Any search queries you put into Google to find the website
    3. Your browser and version
    4. Your operating system
    5. Your screen resolution
    6. The version number of Flash and Java on your system
    7. Your IP address, which can be easily resolved to your ISP.
    8. Certain websites will also be able to read cookies stored on your computer by affiliated other sites - this is usually done by sites that share ad networks
    9. Certain websites can determine your rough geographical location, and request a more precise geographical location from you.

None of this is specific to Ubuntu - it will happen no matter what operating system you use.

Does the Amazon shopping lens look so scary now? I personally don't care whether Amazon knows parts of filenames and parts of program names that I typed into Dash Home. My privacy is not threatened by this useless information! I disabled the shopping lens to save on my precious bandwidth, not for any privacy reasons.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I wouldn't pay much attention to anything Richard Stallman writes about...
    I would, I have, and my life is vastly richer for it.

There's no need to cast aspersions on rms here, he's blameless in this.

He also is an uncompromised hero who has changed the lives of many for the better and to whom we all owe an enormous debt for his contributions.

Consider resisting the urge to slaughter a sacred cow.

I think perhaps he read his copy of the (rather famous) novel "1984" too much
    (in case you are not familiar, it was written a long time ago, about a society in which "BIG BROTHER" (the state) is always watching you...LOL
    "LOL"? In fact, we live in a total surveillance state that's gone beyond the wildest imaginings of Orwell.
    Spirit of 76: 64-bit Wild Dog Performance desktop model wilp6 from System76. Quad core Q9650 3GHz, 8 GB ram, 1 GB nVidia GeForce GTS 250, 1 TB SATA II. I use Vim, not gedit, and Zsh, not bash.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

bonejob
    I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered elsewhere in this forum, but my searches so far have turned up nothing that actually explains what the controversy is about.
    Yeah, I woke up this morning & there it was. No one on the forums has ever commented on it before, as the search terms I used didn't return anything explaining the controversy. Might be interesting to know what search terms you used. This topic was beat to death on these forums.

This is an interesting statement to conclude your OP with:
    If this horse is dead, please humor me and beat him some more for me. He probably won't care... He's already dead. But I'll be informed, and grateful. For others who, like me, need to be brought up to speed, it might even be good to put a sticky on it.
    In one statement you claim your search results yielded nothing, then you go on (in the same opening post) to point out "IF this horse is dead". If as you indicate, there were no search returns - why would one think that it's a dead horse? Odd.

Regardless, of how intent one is to beat this dead horse - doubt that the bandwagon will really get started again. At least I hope not and I don't even use Unity. But Good Luck with your effort.

Just my $0.02.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast